We provide assistance to all EMBL groups and visitors throughout the process of microscopic imaging: planning of a project, sample preparation, selection and usage of the microscope, image processing and visualisation, data transfer and storage.
- Optical sectioning: confocal and two-photon laser scanning microscopes, spinning disk microscopy, Light sheet microscopy (SPIM), total internal reflection (TIRF)
- Molecular dynamics and interactions: FRAP, FRET, FCS
- Super-resolution: 3D single-molecule localisation (GSDIM / dSTORM) and 3D gated stimulated emission depletion (gSTED)
- Laser nanosurgery: Pulsed lasers, which are focused diffraction limited on the sample can be used to cut fine intracellular structures (e.g. actin or microtubules). The laser is positioned on the sample by a scanner. It can be also used on larger structures like to ablate groups of cells.
- Photo-activation, photo-uncaging
Other services we offer:
- Image and data analysis support, as well as commercial and customised open source image and data analysis software
- Facilitating hands on evaluation of equipment in collaboration with technology partners
- Developing accessory software and microscopy equipment (co-developments with industrial partners, pre-evaluation of commercial equipment).
- Organising courses (different EMBO courses per year).
- Useful links and downloads concerning microscopy and image analysis.
We charge an hourly usage fee.
External academic visitor (EMBL member state): usage fee is calculated to cover the instrument maintenance and related consumables costs, currently 8€/hour.
Industry and External academic visitor (not from EMBL member state): full cost.
Internal usage fee