Edit

Alumni Relations

Meet and connect with the EMBL Community, find out how EMBL Resources can benefit you, Make a difference to EMBL with your time, expertise, networks or through giving

Swati Tyagi

Swati Tyagi, former EMBL predoctoral fellow from the Structural and Computational Biology Unit, died 23 June at the age of 34.

It is with a heavy heart that we mourn the death of EMBL alumna Swati Tyagi, who passed away on 23 June at the age of 34.

Swati was an EMBL predoctoral fellow from 2010-2015 in the Structural and Computation Biology Unit – Lemke Group, ending her time at EMBL as a postdoctoral fellow. She was working as a postdoctoral researcher in the lab of EMBL alumnus Martin Hetzer at the Salk Institute for Biological Sciences in San Diego. Martin and Edward had described her as a rising star, and she had received numerous recognitions for her outstanding work.

The EMBL community is shocked and saddened by Swati’s untimely passing. We have lost a wonderful and humble friend and colleague and a shining star. Swati leaves behind her husband Ashim Rai and 11-month old son Miransh. Our thoughts and prayers are with them and with her extended family in India.

A memorial fund has been set up in Swati’s memory. All proceeds from this fundraising effort will go directly to Swati’s family.

Sigrid Milles; Team Leader, Institute of Structural Biology (IBS), CNRS
(EMBL Heidelberg Postdoc, Lemke Group, 2009-2014)
It is with deep sadness that I received the message of Swati Tyagi’s sudden and unexpected death. Swati and I were colleagues during our PhD at EMBL in Heidelberg and spent a lot of time together in the lab, sharing the experience of a growing and very dynamic group. She was a very hard working and humble person, who was always helpful and had time to discuss both scientific and non-scientific topics. Swati always had a smile on her face and I remember her as a very joyful person, who was excited about science and had an impressive endurance with her experiments. I also keep memories of numerous dinners and breakfasts taken together during a very intense and happy PhD time, as well as shared Christmas holidays at my parents’ place followed by a short holiday in the German Alps in the snow. Swati was very open to discover other cultures, and I particularly remember an Easter egg painting session, where she had the most patience of all of us and made the most beautiful egg decorated with impressively detailed ornaments, which she then gave away as a present. It is impossible to find the right words to describe Swati’s loss, and I wish to express my sincere condolences to Swati’s family, in particular her husband and her son, who lost their wife and mother way too early.

Condolences

If you would like to add a message of condolence for inclusion on the EMBL Alumni Obituaries’ page, please contact the Alumni Relations team. Memories and tributes will also be included in a book of remembrance for Swati’s family.

Edit