Edit

Alumni Relations

Meet and connect with the EMBL Community, find out how EMBL Resources can benefit you, Make a difference to EMBL with your time, expertise, networks or through giving

Sara Silva

Sara Silva, former EMBL Grenoble Predoctoral Fellow, passed away on 31 May 2023 at the age of 34.

It is with great sadness that we mourn the loss of Sara Silva, who passed away on 31 May 2023 at the age of 34.

Sara was an EMBL predoctoral fellow between 2013 and 2016, working in the Structural Biology Unit at Grenoble. She will be deeply missed by those who knew her. She leaves behind fond memories as a wonderful friend and colleague.

Our thoughts are with Sara’s family and friends at this difficult time.

Ramesh Pillai, former EMBL Grenoble Group Leader
Now: Professor, University of Geneva

Duygu Sari Ak, former class of 2013 Predoctoral Fellow, Berger Group
Now: Assistant Professor, University of Health Sciences Istanbul Turkey

My beautiful sister Sara,

My most precious memory from Grenoble. Our crazy days in Heidelberg, rediscovering Vienna together, falling down a million times on our ski trips, making me feel like family in Porto, our holidays in Marseille, Amsterdam, London and many more. Every second I spent with you was full of fun and happiness. I don’t know how to fill this emptiness inside me, Sara. We continued to dream until the last day and I know we will meet again one day to hug each other tightly again and dance crazy with Gustavo Lima’s song. I promise that  I will come to visit you with your nieces Melisa and Mila. I love you so much, my sister. Whenever I look at the sky, I see your beautiful blue eyes and I know that you are with me. Rest in peace.

Duygu

Pietro Spinelli, former class of 2012 Predoctoral Fellow, Pillai Group
Now: Senior Project Manager, Chroma Medicine, Milan

Do you remember? The late night shifts in the lab, the projects, the experiments, the joy and the sadness, what a group of passionate, young stupid scientists we were, do you remember? Stripping off your friends’ shirts in the worst clubs in Grenoble, just for fun, just to express your simple, pure joy for being alive? How much we will miss that joy. Something inside us is lost forever, but perhaps your soul, your ideas and your energy will echo in our heads, and we will not forget it, we will use that energy  and carry it with us, until our day will come too, and that day we will meet again and tell you all the stories you missed down here, we will hug you again, and let you strip our shirts again. have a safe trip our dear friend, wherever you are going. We love you. 

Pietro

Etienne Raimondeau, former class of 2012 Predoctoral Fellow, Schaffitzel Team
Now: Technical Product Manager, Oxford Nanopore, Oxford

Thank you Sara for always being a great friend from your first few days of PhD at EMBL, from living down the road in Grenoble to living around the corner in Oxford 10 years later! It’s so difficult to think you won’t be with us any longer. We treasure so many memories from the years together from late nights in the lab (or Vieux Manoir!) to cycling around the Isle of Wight in the UK (Sara’s idea of course). Sara filled us with such positive energy, encouraged us to get up and go, and was a driving force and glue that helped hold everyone together. It won’t be the same without you and we will miss you so so much. We will keep your energy and spirit alive with us and know that you will always be with us in our thoughts, and of course put our all into everything we do, to keep enjoying and loving life like you did. Keep smiling and dancing: https://youtu.be/u245yu1bVvs.

Obrigado Sara! Our heartfelt thoughts and best wishes to everyone who has lost your light in their lives. 

Etienne and Georgia

Jorge Dias Do Nascimento, former class of 2011 Predoctoral Fellow, Cusack Group
Now: Principal Scientist, Alchemab Therapeutics, Cambridge

Dear Sara,

Words cannot express the profound loss we feel since you left us. We are grateful for the incredible journey we shared as PhD students and the precious years we spent as flatmates. Whether it was going for a hike, singing karaoke or simply chilling at home, cooking and watching film, your adventurous spirit, enthusiasm and determination made every day brighter.

We were also eagerly looking forward to having you join us at our wedding party this summer. It was meant to be a celebration of love and friendship, and having you there would have made it even more meaningful. Your absence will be deeply felt, but we will carry your spirit with us on that special day, knowing that you would have been there in heart and soul.

As we write this personal note, we struggle to come to terms with the fact that we will no longer create new memories together.  Yet, amidst the grief, we find solace in knowing that we were blessed to have experienced life’s joys and challenges by your side. You taught us to live life to the fullest, to embrace every opportunity, and to always find joy in the simplest of moments.

As we bid you farewell, we promise to honour your memory by carrying your spirit of adventure and joy in our lives. We will continue to explore new paths, create memories, and find joy in the world around us, just as you would have done.

Rest in peace. We will love you always and hold you in our hearts forever.

Jorge, Ana Rita and Mateus

Magdalena Wojtas, former EIPOD 2013 Postdoctoral Fellow, Pillai Group

Words seem too small to express the sadness we feel about Sara’s death. Joao and Sara’s family please accept my sincere condolences. Sara, thank you for being such a great lab mate and companion. You will be greatly missed! 

Magda and Javi

Condolences

If you would like to add a message of condolence for inclusion on the EMBL Alumni Obituaries’ page, please contact the Alumni Relations team.

Sara Silva
Edit