- Location: Rome, Italy
- Staff category: Staff Member - Administrative and support
- Contract duration: 3 years
- Grading: 4, 5, or 6 depending on experience and qualifications
- Closing date: 12 April 2020
- Reference number: RM00091
Continue reading for more information about this position, or apply now.
About this position
The EMBL Epigenetics and Neurobiology Unit in Monterotondo (near Rome, Italy) is looking for a highly dynamic and effective administrative officer to join its team and support the daily procedures of the Unit.
The European Molecular Biology Laboratory is Europe’s flagship research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing innovative interdisciplinary scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. The organization has more than 1600 employees from many different nations, operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (HQ), Barcelona, Hinxton near Cambridge, Hamburg, Grenoble and Rome.
Together with a highly integrated team of 4 administrative officers, the postholder will provide vital services to around 100 scientists, students and visitors at all levels. More specifically, you will be tasked with:
External funding administration:
- Share duties with the Liaison Officer in communications with the Headquarters, host institute and national authorities on matters regarding the campus management.
- Assist with travel organization, and travel reimbursements for all staff members (control cost allocation for local travel invoices, online trip management).
- Manage EMBL Rome bank account and petty cash (payments, reconciliation, bank transfers, cheques).
- Monitor Heidelberg allocations of EMBL budgets on Rome invoices (therefore providing internal audit function for team).
- Answer incoming calls and share other receptionist duties when needed.
- Assist administrative team on their duties (deputy for Liaisons Officer and Procurement Officer)
- Supporting the Liaison Officer in post-award management of European projects and other national and international projects (including account establishment, and progress reports)
- Monitor spending on external funds.
- Proven work experience as an Administrative Officer, Administrator or similar role
- Proficiency with office management software like MS Office (Word and Excel), and database softwares (SAP or equivalent).
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills, and the ability to interact effectively with various stakeholders at all levels.
- Advanced English and good working knowledge Italian - both are essential
- Excellent organizational skills and a problem-solving attitude
- Attention to detail
- Ability to successfully work in a small team whose success depends on highly integrated team work
- Proven experience of being a self-starter - working independently.
You might also have
- Experience in a research institute or equivalent and an international environment would be an advantage
Why join us
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity international employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to a cutting edge research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family.
What else you need to know
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, CV and reference letters online through: www.embl.org/jobs
Interviews will be held at EMBL in Rome late May / early June 2020