IT Support Engineer
- Location: EMBL Heidelberg
- Staff category: Staff Member
- Job type: IT and Infrastructure
- Contract duration: 3 years (renewable)
- Grading: 6 or 7; depending on experience
- Closing date: 22 April 2021
- Reference number: HD01950
Continue reading for more information about this position, or apply now
About this position
IT Services operates and supports the IT infrastructure and services at EMBL headquarters in Heidelberg and for the laboratory’s sites in Barcelona and Rome.
As part of IT Services, the Desktop Support team provides a broad range of first level and desktop support to the EMBL user community. In addition, the team is also responsible for managing a number of key Windows backend services. They also have a critical role supporting the EMBL training mission by coordinating and administering installations for training courses in the Computer Lab at the EMBL Advanced Training Centre.
We are looking for an experienced IT Support Engineer to join our Desktop Support team at EMBL Heidelberg.
- to provide excellent desktop support to our internal users across a portfolio of supported Mac, Windows and Linux desktops and mobile devices. This includes system and software deployment (SCCM/JAMF), system configuration (user profiles, network, printing, email, etc.) as well as effective troubleshooting on the aforementioned platforms
- to provide a knowledgeable, friendly and reliable IT helpdesk to our users
- to ensure excellent service quality and user satisfaction through adequate tracking of support tasks, change management and efficient communication with our users
- to contribute to continuous improvement of EMBL’s IT infrastructure, user experience and support processes
- at least 2 years of work experience in a professional IT support environment
- a degree in computer sciences or equivalent practical experience
- technical expertise in managing and supporting a number of current desktop and mobile operating systems
- experience in enterprise level automated systems and software installations
- solid knowledge of current standard desktop software packages
- familiarity with enterprise-level integration of desktop and mobile systems including areas such as network access, file systems and email
- basic knowledge of computer networks
- good communication and English language skills, as well as great problem-solving skills and the ability to multitask
You might also have
- experience in supporting MacOS and iOS devices
Why join us
- we offer you the opportunity to work with latest technology, being exposed to a fast-growing big data environment operating over 350 petabytes of scientific data and high-end computing across multiple centres to support science at EMBL
- a competitive salary and a comprehensive pension scheme; medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial sponsorship for relocation and installation for you and your family
- a flexible and friendly, international working environment fostering creativity
- certified training and continued development of your professional and personal skills
- we are an inclusive, equal opportunity employer strongly committed to achieving gender balance
- to be part of one of the world’s highest ranked scientific research organizations and to commit to this joint effort to better understand the principles of life
What else you need to know
We are Europe’s flagship research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with 1700 employees from many nations operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (DE, headquarters), Barcelona (ES), Hinxton near Cambridge (UK), Hamburg (DE), Grenoble (FR) and Rome (IT).
The working language of the institute is English.
If you feel you have the right skills and experience, please apply online at www.embl.org/jobs!
Discover more on working with EMBL IT Services at embl.de/itservices.