- Location: EMBL Heidelberg
- Staff category: Staff Member
- Job type: Administration
- Contract duration: 3 years (renewable)
- Grading: 5 or 6; depending on qualifications and experience (monthly salary starting from 3.2k€ to 3.7k€ after tax, plus other benefits)
- Closing date: 28 April 2021
- Reference number: HD01948
Continue reading for more information about this position, or apply now
About this position
We are Europe’s flagship research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with more than 1700 employees from many nations, operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (HQ), Barcelona, Hinxton near Cambridge, Hamburg, Grenoble and Rome. EMBL offers and maintains a vibrant, cooperative, team-oriented and open working atmosphere, and Legal Services is a diverse team of different nationalities and gender.
The unit “Legal Services” is located in EMBL’s Headquarter in Heidelberg and has overall responsibility for all legal matters involving EMBL, both nationally as well as internationally. Given EMBL’s status as an International Organisation, its operation is governed by the rules of International Public and Private Law.
As Legal Officer, you will be exposed to a wide variety of legal matters and be required to perform a broad range of legal work, including research, drafting, negotiations, etc. including in the following fields:
- Relations with other international, research or commercial organisations
- (Scientific) Cooperation agreements
- Research Grants & Consortia
- EMBL status/institutional matters (Privileges & Immunities, Relations with the Host Countries, )
- Relations with EMBL Member States
- Human Resources matters
- Litigation/Arbitration/Staff Disputes
- Commercial contracts
It is envisaged that you will initially be trained and closely supervised by your supervisors so as to provide the necessary guidance and quality assurance. Over time, the expectation is that you should be prepared to work increasingly independent, albeit in close cooperation with the supervisors. From time to time, you may also be required to liaise with and oversee the work of outside legal counsel. You will report to the Head of Legal Services and be supervised by the Head Legal Services.
As our ideal candidate, you will have a masters degree in law demonstrating an international focus in your academic career, and at least 2 years of professional experience. Ideally, your academic and professional background is a blend of exposure to both the international public sphere as well as the commercial world.
Excellent (English and German) legal drafting skills are required, and related thereto familiarity with both Common law as well as Civil law legal documents a strong asset. Legal areas to be covered and which you ideally should have a combined experience in include: International Public and private Law, EU Law, Commercial Law, Labour Law, (International) Administrative Law.
You will bring strong analytical skills and the ability to identify problems and offer pragmatic options for solutions. You will have demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds. Furthermore, you are client-focused and – if required – can work to tight deadlines and handle a multitude of legal matters in parallel.
Excellent communication skills in English and German are mandatory.Proficiency in using Microsoft Office has to be given.
You might also have
Working knowledge of French, Spanish or Italian would be an asset.
Why join us
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment.
- Competitive salary exempt from national taxes
- Comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family
- Excellent child care facility on campus
- Certified training and continued development of your professional and personal skills
- Flexible and friendly working environment
What else you need to know
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.