Postdoctoral Fellow - Chemical Biology
- Location: EMBL Heidelberg
- Staff category: Postdoctoral Fellow Identified
- Job type: Postdoctoral Fellowships
- Contract duration: 2 years
- Grading: Postdoctoral Stipend P1
- Closing date: 5 May 2021
- Reference number: HD01943
Continue reading for more information about this position, or apply now
About this position
The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is one of the highest ranked scientific research organizations in the world. The Headquarters Laboratory is located in Heidelberg (Germany), with additional sites in Grenoble, Barcelona, Hamburg, Hinxton and Rome. The EMBL Chemical Biology Core Facility (CBCF) in Heidelberg carries out small molecule screening to identify bioactive hit molecules. The Medicinal Chemistry lab carries out hit- and lead- optimization on potential new therapeutic compounds found in the CBCF screening lab, as well as designing and synthesizing bioactive molecules based on X-ray crystallography data.
In collaboration with the Marquéz group in EMBL Grenoble the CBCF is optimizing hits from crystallographic fragment screening. The target is the Abscisic Acid (ABA) receptor family. The aim is to develop novel ABA modulators that can be used to improve environmental stress resistance, growth and seed germination in plants. The project is strongly focused on applied research with the clear aim of developing molecules of real practical and commercial applicability.
We have an EMBL Postdoctoral Fellow positions available to work on this project. The positions, with attractive EMBL salary and conditions, are for a two year fixed-term period starting ass soon as possible. The positions are based in the CBCF Medicinal Chemistry lab in EMBL Heidelberg.
- Design and synthesize new bioactive compounds as modulators of the ABA receptor family.
- Collaborate closely with Computational Chemistry, X-ray Crystallography, in vitro and in vivo Screening experts
- Design, conduct and optimize multi-step syntheses as required by project needs.
- Monitor reactions and characterize the products using standard analytical methods (TLC, HPLC, HPLC-MS and NMR).
- Evaluate both chemical and biological results and define routes for compound optimization.
- Maintain accurate documentation of procedures and results according to laboratory’s guidelines.
- Report results in internal meetings
- Contribute to conceptual planning and monitoring of project progress.
- Mentor Ph.D. and Masters students working in the lab.
- Contribute to the smooth operation and maintenance of lab infrastructure and equipment.
- Adhere to health and safety requirements.
Qualifications and experience:
- Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry or equivalent qualification. Postdoctoral experience would be preferred.
- Profound experience in organic syntheses and analytical techniques.
- Experience in the design and synthesis of biologically active molecules
- Knowledge and experience in the synthesis, analysis and purification of chiral molecules, including chiral chromatography, chiral resolution and enantioselective synthesis.
- Ability to work productively in an interdisciplinary team environment.
- Excellent presentation skills and ability to communicate effectively in cross-functional teams.
- Working knowledge of English is mandatory.
- Experience with standard software packages, search engines and scientific databases is expected.
You might also have
- Knowledge of German is a plus.
Why join us
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprises from a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, and the availability of an excellent child care facility on campus.
What else you need to know
The position, with EMBL Postdoctoral Fellow salary and conditions, is initially for a two year period.
Contact: David Will firstname.lastname@example.org