Administrative Assistant - Health & Safety Office
- Location: EMBL Heidelberg
- Staff category: Staff Member
- Job type: Administration
- Contract duration: 3 years (renewable)
- Grading: 3 or 4; depending on experience and qualifications (monthly salary starting from 2.7k€ to 3k€ after tax, plus other benefits)
- Closing date: 28 April 2021
- Reference number: HD01936
Continue reading for more information about this position, or apply now
About this position
EMBL's Health and Safety Office is concerned with all work-related aspects of health and safety, laboratory as well as general and occupational safety. Amongst its tasks are registration procedures with the national authorities, inspections of laboratories, workplace risk assessments, hazardous waste management and conducting safety training. The medical monitoring of all EMBL staff is arranged by the Health and Safety Office in coordination with the occupational physicians. Another important area is the organisation of first aid at EMBL, which includes the provision of first aid training.
In order to provide safe and healthy working conditions to all EMBL staff and visitors, and to support them in carrying out their duties smoothly and safely, the team sets a high value on preventive measures.
As Health & Safety Administrator, you will support the Health & Safety Office in coordinating all matters related to occupational safety and health, as well as act as first contact point to all newcomers. You will be expected to cooperate in developing and establishing new approaches and procedures to achieve continuous progress in the efficiency of the provided services. Cooperation with other departments is required.
The main responsibilities include:
- Assisting the Head of Health & Safety Office in all administrative and organizational matters, establishing and maintaining efficient office procedures
- Arranging and coordinating appointments for occupational medical examinations for all staff in Heidelberg, liaising with the occupational physicians
- Archiving medical documents and other personnel files relevant to the Health & Safety Office for all outstations
- Maintaining data in SAP-HR, prepare statistics and annual reports regarding medical information
- First point of contact for newcomers and other staff contacting the Health and Safety Office, handling their inquiries or directing them to the appropriate person within the Department
- Giving training and guidance to Outstation administrators on maintaining Health & Safety data in SAP-HR
- Keeping fire wardens list up-to-date and recruiting fire wardens
- Responsible for preparing and distributing dosimeters for radioactivity users, maintaining data and recording results of dosimetry
- Scheduling and preparing courses and trainings provided to EMBL staff (e.g. first aid courses, lab safety briefings, workplace health promotion)
- General secretarial tasks, such as general correspondence, documentation, filing, travel booking, placing orders via SAP, processing mail
- Other administrative duties as required by the Head of Health & Safety Office
The post requires strong secretarial, administrative and organisational skills, the ability to work accurately and to pay attention to detail. Strong customer orientation and the competence to deal with many people in a friendly manner are a must. Fluency in spoken and written English and German is essential in order to communicate decently. Proficiency in Microsoft Word and the use of internet are required. We are looking for a self-motivated personality with an interest in adding value to the Health & Safety team .
You might also have
Previous work experience as an administrator and familiarity with SAP HR are desirable.
Why join us
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family and the availability of an excellent child care facility on campus.
What else you need to know
We are Europe’s flagship research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with more than 1700 employees from many nations, operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (HQ), Barcelona, Hinxton near Cambridge, Hamburg, Grenoble and Rome.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.
If you feel you have the right skills and experience, please apply online submitting your CV and cover letter.