- Location: EMBL Heidelberg
- Staff category: Staff Member
- Job type: Communication
- Contract duration: 3 years
- Grading: 5
- Closing date: 7 March 2021
- Reference number: HD01928
Continue reading for more information about this position, or apply now
About this position
EMBL is one of the world’s leading research institutions, and Europe’s flagship life sciences organisation. An intergovernmental organisation of 27 Member States, EMBL operates sites in France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the United Kingdom, and provides life science training and service programmes globally.
The Communications Department at EMBL is looking for a German-speaking Press Officer to coordinate and extend the organisation’s media relations. Working together with members of the Communications team across all six EMBL sites, you will identify and develop content targeted at journalists. This will include writing stories, preparing social media content, and creating multimedia content such as videos. You will be responsible for media monitoring and handling journalists’ enquiries. You will be involved in planning and organising stakeholder events, with a particular focus on media relations and events for press.
- Identifying newsworthy stories across the organisation
- Writing and editing content in both English and German
- Establishing and maintaining effective relationships with journalists
- Monitoring and evaluating the impact of EMBL’s press work
- Handling press enquiries
- Organising press conferences, press visits and tours
- Briefing and training spokespeople
- Establishing close working relationships with press offices in partner institutions within Germany and across EMBL’s Member States
- Repackaging content for press and social media activities
- Involvement in the planning and organising of stakeholder events
- At least three years’ experience in a media-relations role in a science-based environment, OR as a journalist in a science-related field
- An excellent command of spoken and written English and German
- An impressive portfolio of relevant science-related content
- Experience and interest in a variety of social network platforms
- A passion for science and the ability to communicate confidently and clearly about complex scientific issues
- A university degree or relevant professional qualification
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and demonstrated ability to quickly build and maintain professional networks
You might also have
- Qualifications or experience working in EMBL’s research fields of the life sciences
- Experience in working with social media and organising events
- Knowledge of other European languages, particularly French, Italian or Spanish
- Experience working in an international environment and/or for an intergovernmental organisation
Why join us
EMBL is a world-leading life-science research organisation funded by more than 27 governments. We are international, innovative, interdisciplinary and highly collaborative, with 1700 employees from many nations working on six sites in France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the United Kingdom. Our mission is to perform basic research in molecular biology; to offer vital services to scientists in the member states; to train scientists, students and visitors at all levels; to develop new instruments and methods in the life sciences and actively engage in technology transfer activities, and to integrate European life science research.
What else you need to know
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation.
The Communications department is split across all six EMBL sites. This role is based at the headquarters in Heidelberg, Germany.
Appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.
Please apply online through www.embl.org/jobs