- Location: EMBL Heidelberg
- Staff category: Staff Member
- Job type: IT and Infrastructure
- Contract duration: 3 years (renewable)
- Grading: 6, 7 or 8; depending on experience (monthly salary starting from 3.7k€ up to 4.8k€ after tax, plus other benefits)
- Closing date: 26 January 2021
- Reference number: HD01895
Continue reading for more information about this position, or apply now.
About this position
IT Services operates and supports the IT infrastructure and services at EMBL headquarters in Heidelberg and at the laboratory’s sites in Barcelona and Rome. Within IT Services, the IT Operations team is responsible for managing and developing the provision of large-scale IT services from our high-performance data centres to support EMBL’s science. We are looking for a highly motivated and experienced Systems Engineer to join the team.
will include the following responsibilities:
- to manage and develop
- EMBL’s private cloud infrastructure, based on OpenStack and Kubernetes
- our automated systems and services deployment and configuration tools
- our identity and access management systems
- our IT services health monitoring
- to provide an excellent support to our users, efficiently tracked and assuring highest quality of service and user satisfaction
- to continuously improve our provision of IT services and the support processes by jointly analysing IT requirements together with the EMBL user community and your team
- a degree in computer science or equivalent
- relevant experience with the cloud, both public (AWS) and on-premise (OpenStack, Kubernetes)
- familiarity with DevOps concepts (GIT, CI/CD)
- experience with configuration management and automated deployment (e.g. Puppet, Ansible, Terraform)
- knowledge of Linux system administration and corporate software management
- scripting skills such as Python or
- debugging skills with an understanding of standard services and protocols including LDAP, SSO, IMAP, SMTP
- excellent communication skills and the ability to work both individually and as part of a diverse team
You might also have
- familiarity with federated authentication concepts
- experience with data centre virtualisation (VMware/KVM)
- basic IT Security knowledge
- German language skills as a plus
Why join us
We offer you
- the opportunity to work with latest technology, being exposed to a fast-growing big data environment operating over 350 petabytes of scientific data and high-end computing across multiple centres to support science at EMBL
- a competitive tax free salary (indicated above) and a comprehensive pension scheme; medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial sponsorship for relocation and installation for you and your family
- a flexible and friendly, international working environment fostering creativity
- certified training and continued development of your professional and personal skills
- we are an inclusive, equal opportunity employer strongly committed to achieving gender balance
- to be part of one of the world’s highest ranked scientific research organizations and to commit to this joint effort to better understand the principles of life
What else you need to know
We are Europe’s flagship research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with 1700 employees from many nations operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (DE, headquarters), Barcelona (ES), Hinxton near Cambridge (UK), Hamburg (DE), Grenoble (FR) and Rome (IT).
The working language of the institute is English.
If you feel you have the right skills and experience, please apply online at www.embl.org/jobs!
Discover more on working with EMBL IT Services at embl.de/itservices.