- Location: EMBL Heidelberg
- Staff category: Staff Member - Technology
- Contract duration: 3 years (renewable)
- Grading: 6, 7 or 8; depending on qualifications and experience
- Closing date: 1 October 2020
- Reference number: HD01819
Continue reading for more information about this position, or apply now.
About this position
IT Services operates and supports the IT infrastructure and services at EMBL headquarters in Heidelberg and at the laboratory’s sites in Barcelona and Rome. Within IT Services, the IT Operations team is responsible for managing and developing the provision of large-scale IT services from our high-performance data centres to support EMBL’s science. We are looking for a highly motivated and experienced Systems Engineer to join the IT Operations team.
will include the following responsibilities:
- to manage and develop:
- a multi-cluster/multi-site VMware vSphere infrastructure including the administration and monitoring of 800+ virtual machines representing a broad range of technologies, servers, databases, etc
- our high-performance data storage and backup services
- EMBL’s messaging and collaboration infrastructure
- our identity and access management systems
- our IT services health monitoring
- to provide an excellent support to our users, efficiently tracked and assuring highest quality of service and user satisfaction
- to continuously improve our provision of IT services and the support processes by jointly analysing IT requirements together with the EMBL user community and your team colleagues
- a degree in computer sciences or equivalent
- at least 3 years of work experience in a professional IT support environment managing multi-platform IT infrastructures with hundreds of users
- previous professional experience and extensive knowledge of managing virtual server infrastructures at scale, preferably based on VMware vSphere
- have been exposed to managing high-performance enterprise storage and backup systems
- a broad IT technology overview to manage, monitor and secure a large heterogeneous IT environment as well as an analytic approach to solve problems
- excellent interpersonal and communication skills, as well as a service-oriented attitude
- You are a team player, but are also able to work independently, you are organised, able to work to tight deadlines and proficient in English language
You might also have
- experience managing VDI systems, preferably VMware based
- strong capabilities in automated systems deployment and configuration management across heterogeneous platforms using standard IT technologies
- familiarity with enterprise DNS, LDAP and identity & access management
- previous exposure to managing enterprise content management systems or database systems preferably Oracle and MySQL
- German language skills as a plus
Why join us
- we offer you the opportunity to work with the latest technology and the exposure to a fast-growing big data environment, operating over 300 petabytes of science data and high-end computing across several centres including the administrative IT to support science at EMBL
- certified training and continued development of your professional and personal skills
- benefits linked to technological exchange and meeting IT teams across EMBL sites
- competitive salary and a comprehensive pension scheme; medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial sponsorship for relocation and installation for you and your family
- flexible and friendly, international working environment fostering creativity
- we are an inclusive, equal opportunity employer strongly committed to achieving gender balance
- to be part of one of the world’s highest ranked scientific research organizations and to commit to this joint effort to better understand the principles of life
What else you need to know
We are Europe’s flagship research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with 1700 employees from many nations operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (DE, headquarters), Barcelona (ES), Hinxton near Cambridge (UK), Hamburg (DE), Grenoble (FR) and Rome (IT).
The working language of the institute is English.
If you feel you have the right skills and experience, please apply online at www.embl.org/jobs!
Discover more on working with EMBL IT Services at embl.de/itservices.