Human Resources Officer
- Location: EMBL Heidelberg
- Staff category: Staff Member - Administrative and support
- Contract duration: 3 years (renewable)
- Grading: 4, 5 or 6; depending on qualifications and experience
- Closing date: 12 August 2020
- Reference number: HD01786
Continue reading for more information about this position, or apply now.
About this position
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Human Resources Operations, the Human Resources Officer is responsible for managing inquiries from and providing services to all members of personnel (MOP) and the data maintenance in SAP.
As HR Officer, you will:
- Interpret, explain and administer entitlements and benefits in line with terms and conditions of employment and staff rules and regulations.
- Provide advice, guidance and information to MOP for units under your areas of responsibility on the application and implementation of HR policies, procedures, rules and regulations concerning entitlements and benefits.
- Provide advice on salary and related benefits, travel, and social security entitlements.
- Determine benefits and entitlements for MOP on the basis of contractual status; prepares justifications for exceptions for review and approval by the Head of Human Resources.
- Review and process entitlements and benefits related actions in SAP within your entrusted authority, making appropriate recommendations where exceptions are required.
- Monitor and identify potential issues on terms and conditions of employment of MOP and advises the supervisor of possible course of actions.
- Assist in resolving complex compensation and benefits related issues and problems by conducting necessary research and fact finding, and prepare drafts and related documentation for review by the supervisor.
- Maintain human resources information systems, including constant update and generation of information and reports for various monitoring purposes. Maintain and keep master data regularly updated in SAP including for payroll purposes.
- Analyse human resource data to establish a statistical benchmark and produce statistical reports and charts. Act as focal point for any staffing related statistics and reports. These include routine and ad hoc reporting as well as the development of a system of standard reports and statistics.
- Participate in and contribute to special projects and/or working groups as assigned.
- Provide absence coverage for members within the team.
- Perform other duties as required.
At least three years of relevant HR experience in similar areas of responsibility, sound knowledge and experience with ERP systems is essential.
As our ideal candidate you will hold a university degree in Human Resources Management, Business Administration, Law, or other relevant disciplines. Fluency in oral and written English is required.
Key competencies are:
- A conscientious attitude, high numerical accuracy.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work independently in your area of responsibility, yet seek guidance when required.
- Ability to work and deliver quality results under pressure and with tight deadlines.
- Able to work in a standalone capacity, but also in a team setting while building and fostering a harmonious working team environment.
- Possess strong interpersonal skills and customer orientation, providing a high level of professional service to all EMBL MOP.
- Excellent computer skills, knowledge of Microsoft Office especially EXCEL.
- Ability to present information or draft materials in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to analyse complicated matters offering different perspectives and problem solving.
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
You might also have
Experience of human resources management with a thorough understanding of the interpretation and application of staff rules and regulations is highly desirable.
Why join us
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family.
What else you need to know
We are Europe’s flagship research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with more than 1700 employees from many nations, operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (HQ), Barcelona, Hinxton near Cambridge, Hamburg, Grenoble and Rome.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.
If you feel you have the right skills and experience, please apply online submitting your CV and cover letter.