ELIXIR Training Coordinator
- Location: EMBL-EBI Hinxton
- Staff category: Staff Member
- Job type: Training
- Contract duration: 3 years (renewable to a maximum of 9 years)
- Grading: Grade 5 or 6 (Monthly starting salary from £2,738 or £3,063 after tax)
- Closing date: 20 April 2021
- Reference number: EX00017
Continue reading for more information about this position, or apply now
About this position
We are looking for a bioinformatician, biologist or life science data scientist with strong interest and experience in the developing and delivering training of life-science researchers to join ELIXIR as the coordinator for the ELIXIR Training Platform.
The ELIXIR Training Platform was established to develop a training community that spans all ELIXIR member states (see the list of Training Coordinators). It aims to strengthen national training programmes, grow bioinformatics training capacity and competence across Europe, and empower researchers to use ELIXIR's services and tools.
As coordinator you would work closely with and support our international ELIXIR scientific leadership team for the Training Platform. Your main task will be to provide day-to-day management and coordination. You will support our long-term planning and drive the development and implementation of a project portfolio to support ELIXIR Training Programme.
You will also be contributing via RITrainPlus and ELIXIR-CONVERGE projects to the efforts to establish a solid European training programme for managers and senior staff in European research infrastructures (and ELIXIR) in close collaboration with the ELIXIR teams already involved.
- A University degree in the field of life-science, computer science, engineering or another relevant discipline with solid interest and experience from training bioinformatics/medical informatics environments. An advanced degree in one of these fields is a plus.
- Experience of bioinformatics training and/or coordination of training activities.
- Strong interest in training for data and compute intensive research both from a user perspective and from a training infrastructure perspective.
- Ability to occasionally work outside normal office hours if required and travel to ELIXIR Nodes across Europe as required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and preferably at least one other European language
You might also have
- Ability to lead and motivate multi-disciplinary teams in a distributed and matrix-managed environment to deliver against challenging goals and timelines.
- Strong collaborative skills with demonstrated track-record of delivery in geographically distributed teams, able to demonstrate a sense of diplomacy.
Why join us
At ELIXIR you will work in an international environment frequently collaborating with colleagues across Europe. The ELIXIR Hub is located at the Wellcome Genome Campus, with excellent facilities in an attractive campus environment. ELIXIR staff enjoy excellent campus sports facilities, a free shuttle bus to Cambridge and other nearby centres, an active sports and social club at a picturesque South Cambridgeshire campus set in 55 acres of parkland.
ELIXIR staff are employed by EMBL, an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation.
The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary with access to a range of generous benefits including:
- 30 days annual leave per year plus 8 bank holidays
- Flexible work arrangements
- Unique pension scheme including 17% employer contribution
- Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family (including all prescriptions and generous dental & optical cover)
- Death benefit, long-term care, accident at work and unemployment insurances
- Relocation package including installation grant (if required)
- Family benefits: Onsite nursery, child sick leave, parental leave, holiday clubs on campus and monthly family and child allowances
- Benefits for non-UK residents: Visa exemption, education grant for private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home country every second year and a monthly non-resident allowance
- Please click this link for full details about our generous employee benefits package
What else you need to know
The initial contract is for a period of 3 years with the possibility of a fixed-term extension up to a total of 9 years of service.
To apply please submit a cover letter and CV through our online system. At ELIXIR we strongly believe in inclusive and diverse teams where different experiences contribute to innovation and creative thought.
We encourage applications from women, LGBTQ and individuals from all nationalities. Appointment will be based on merit alone.
Visa exemptions will be offered to international candidates and details will be discussed during interview.
Applications will close on 20th April 2021 and we will aim to provide feedback within two weeks after the closing date.