Graphic Designer, EMBO
- Location: EMBL Heidelberg
- Staff category: Staff Member
- Job type: Administration
- Contract duration: 3 years
- Grading: 4 or 5, depending on individual qualification and experiences
- Closing date: 30 April 2021
- Reference number: EMBO00104
Continue reading for more information about this position, or apply now
About this position
EMBO stands for excellence in the life sciences. We support talented researchers at all stages of their careers in Europe and beyond, stimulate the exchange of scientific information, and help build a research environment where scientists can achieve their best work. EMBO Communications is responsible for effectively communicating the activities of the EMBO Programmes to support life scientists and for further strengthening the reputation of EMBO in the scientific community throughout Europe and beyond.
EMBO is looking for an experienced Graphic Designer for the EMBO Communications team. The Graphic Designer is responsible for creating and designing digital and printed materials for a number of EMBO communications activities. This is an ideal position for a motivated design professional with a keen eye for appealing and target group-oriented design in the setting of an international life science organization. The Graphic Designer reports to the Head of Marketing & Communications and is an integral member of the communications team, engaging the various external and internal target groups.
- Define and update design guidelines for the newly established EMBO design, and implement the new design across EMBO
- Work closely with the Head of Marketing & Communications, the other communications team members and the EMBO Programme teams to further advance EMBO’s visibility and reputation
- Work closely with the EMBO web designer to produce key visuals and layouts for digital communications
- Work on all stages of the design process, from concept through to production, including of printed and online ads, brochures, posters, flyers, certificates, printed and online banners, the EMBO newsletter, e-mail campaigns, illustrations, covers, and collateral materials
- Help ensure consistent branding across communications channels
- Create slide presentations to represent the organization’s activities and its communities
- Perform additional tasks as required by the Head of Marketing and Communications and the EMBO Director
This position will occasionally require working outside of the normal working hours, in the evenings or during the weekend.
- 3-5 years of design experience with technical and professional training
- A strong design aesthetic and a diverse portfolio showing outstanding conceptual skills and proficiency in typography, illustration and layout
- An interest in the field of molecular biology and an ability to analyse information and derive and create design concepts
- High quality- and result-oriented working habits with a desire to innovate in design
- A team player attitude – you are engaged, flexible, positive and enthusiastic
- Attention to detail, flexibility and excellent organizational skills in order to administer a range of activities in parallel
- The following technical skills:
- Proficiency in the Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop)
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite (Word, Powerpoint, Excel)
- A good understanding of current web technologies and interface design, including proficiency in editing HTML/CSS and understanding responsive web design
- Excellent written and oral English language skills
You might also have
- Experience in working in a service and goal-oriented working environment
- A background in the life sciences
Why join us
The EMBO offices are located on the international EMBL life science research campus in Heidelberg, Germany. Heidelberg, home to around 150,000 people, is a lively university city. EMBO is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international science organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, pension scheme and health insurance, and educational and other family-related benefits where applicable. As a non-profit organisation, we have an informal and collegial working environment that is inspired by our dedication to working for a common greater good.
What else you need to know
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.