Administrative and Financial Officer
- Location: EMBL Heidelberg
- Staff category: Staff Member
- Job type: Administration
- Contract duration: 3 years
- Grading: 4, 5 or 6; depending on qualification and experiences
- Closing date: 22 March 2021
- Reference number: EMBO00099
Continue reading for more information about this position, or apply now
About this position
EMBO stands for excellence in the life sciences. We support talented researchers at all stages of their careers in Europe and beyond, stimulate the exchange of scientific information, and help build a research environment where scientists can achieve their best work.
EMBO Administration & Finance is responsible for controlling and reporting the finances of EMBO. Responsibilities include the oversight of budgets and payments for all of the activities of the organisation. EMBO Administration & Finance is also responsible for the annual financial statement of EMBO. Other tasks of the team are related to the administration of the organisation.
EMBO is seeking an experienced Administrative and Financial Officer for EMBO Administration & Finance. The Administrative and Financial Officer provides a wide range of administrative support for all activities of EMBO and will be expected to take an active part in ensuring completeness, accuracy and conformity.
- Assistance in budget preparation, monitoring and controlling
- Support of budget holders
- Acting as point of contact for EMBO Programmes and services
- Support with financial administration of grants
- Assistance in solving specific administrative and financial issues
- Support in coordination and execution of financial and administrative projects
- Preparation of financial reports
- General basic accounting and administrative tasks
- Entering data into the IT system
- E-Banking and supervision of bank transactions
- Invoice control
- Support and administering audits and year-end transactions
- Correspondence, documentation and filing
- Preparation of meetings
- Support of and backup for the Administration and Finance Team
- General administrative assistance
and performing additional tasks as required by the Head of Administration and Finance.
- Knowledge of:
- budgetary control;
- basic accounting concepts;
- financial reporting principles;
- at least three years’ professional experience in finance, controlling or accounting
- solid knowledge of standard office software, especially Excel;
- the capacity to work independently as well as a part of a team in an international environment;
- A self-motivated personality and interest in adding value to the team;
- fluency in English; good working knowledge of German;
- excellent written and oral communication as well as interpersonal skills.
You might also have
- experience in taxation;
- interest in learning accounting principles of an intergovernmental organisation, Swiss and German law;
- knowledge of standard accounting IT systems (e.g. DATEV, SAP, Taylorix or Lexware);
- experience in controlling.
Why join us
The EMBO offices are located on the international EMBL life science research campus in Heidelberg, Germany. Heidelberg, home to around 150,000 people, is a vibrant university city offering a high quality of life. EMBO is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international science organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, pension scheme and health insurance, and educational and other family-related benefits. As a non-profit organisation, we have an informal and collegial working environment that is inspired by our dedication to working for a common greater good.
What else you need to know
The Administrative and Finance Officer reports to the Head of Finance and Administration.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.