Events and project officer - commencing immediately
- Location: EMBL-EBI Hinxton
- Staff category: Supernumerary
- Job type: Training
- Contract duration: 7 months
- Grading: 4 (monthly salary starting at £2,540.35 after tax + other paid benefits)
- Closing date: 29 April 2021
- Reference number: EBI01819
Continue reading for more information about this position, or apply now
About this position
We are looking for an enthusiastic and driven Event and Project Officer to join the training team temporarily to support our team through a period of high workload and to work specifically on delivering a remote conference for one of our European funded projects.
Training is a core activity across EMBL-EBI, involving almost every part of the organisation and coordinated by a team of 30 people. The Training Team delivers a world-recognised programme that encompasses face-to-face and online learning, training trainers and secondments. The training team also contributes to several externally funded projects.
You will join a small group of EU project focussed staff which forms part of the Training Team at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) located at the Wellcome Trust Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK.
Your primary goal will be to contribute to the smooth running and high standards of EMBL-EBI’s diverse and highly acclaimed programme of training and industry events. You will support the administration of our project events from initial concept to post-event wrap up, which may include:
- Budgeting, budget reconciliation and processing expense claims
- Liaising with event speakers
- Helping event applicants with their enquiries
- Promotion of events (including keeping the web pages for your events up to date)
- Onsite support during the events themselves
- Project administration e.g. data entry, and tracking of KPIs and risks
The role is likely to involve some out-of-hours work, including occasional work at weekends. EMBL-EBI staff currently work remotely, though we would expect to be back in the office in Hinxton for part of the duration of this contract.
- There are no formal qualifications required for this role although a diploma or degree in an events or business administration related subject would be an asset.
- You will have been responsible for or made substantive contributions to organising events, ideally ranging from ten to more than 100 participants, from start to finish.
- Experience in remote or virtual events will be an asset but not essential.
- You will be comfortable planning several events simultaneously and working seamlessly with colleagues to cover for planned and unplanned absences.
- You will be a self-motivated individual with excellent organisational, communication and interpersonal skills, able to work effectively as a part of a team and keep calm under pressure.
You might also have
You might have one or more of the following desirable skills to help out the team across our activity streams:
- Basic video editing skill, incl. captioning.
- Basic graphic design skills.
- Foreign language (French).
- Experience with social media (Twitter, LinkedIn).
Why join us
EMBL-EBI is a worldwide leader in bioinformatics. We encourage personal and professional development and are committed to ensuring our employees feel valued, supported and empowered to reach their potential at work.
Surrounded by beautiful South Cambridgeshire countryside, our state-of-the-art Campus provides employees with a relaxed atmosphere where the pursuit of scientific discovery and meaningful work, underpin every role. In addition, our employees have access to a wide range of benefits including:
- 30 days annual leave per year plus 8 bank holidays
- Flexible work arrangements
- Accident at work insurance
- On-site library and subsidised on-site gym and cafeteria
- Casual dress code
- Free shuttle bus to and from Campus
- Extensive sports and social club activities (run on campus and remotely)
What else you need to know
This position is limited to a 7-month duration. Part-time arrangements (26 hrs/week minimum) can be considered, though during specific events you may need to be available full-time. See job description here.
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV through our online system.
At EMBL-EBI, we strongly believe that inclusive and diverse teams benefit from higher levels of innovation and creative thought. We encourage applications from women, LGBTQ and individuals from all nationalities. Visa exemptions will be offered to international candidates and details will be discussed during interview. We believe in science without borders and this continues after Brexit.
This role is based in Hinxton, UK and you will be required to relocate once it is safe to do so if you are currently based abroad or not within commuting distance. More info on how we are recruiting in this period is available on our page: Recruitment and Onboarding during Covid19.
We aim to provide a response within two weeks after the closing date.
Job no.: EBI01819