- Location: EMBL-EBI Hinxton
- Staff category: Staff Member
- Job type: Scientific Services and Support
- Contract duration: 3 years (renewable)
- Grading: Grade 5 or 6 (starts at £2,738 or £3,063 per month after tax) + other paid benefits
- Closing date: 24 April 2021
- Reference number: EBI01818
Continue reading for more information about this position, or apply now
About this position
Ensembl is a leading genome informatics resource, one of the most highly used by scientists across the world. We seek a talented, highly motivated bioinformatician to contribute to our variation and phenotype resources.
In the Ensembl Variation team, we integrate and annotate large quantities of variation and phenotype association data from public archives and develop tools for data access, visualisation and variant interpretation. The Ensembl Variant Effect Predictor (VEP), which leverages a wide range of Ensembl data to create detailed variant annotations, is our most popular product. Improvements in sequencing technology and the development of novel techniques are generating new data types and ever larger datasets. These data need efficient management and intuitive presentation in order for their full scientific potential, including improving our understanding of genetic disease, evolution and population genetics, to be reached. We collaborate with clinical research scientists, genomics researchers and standard setting authorities to define our services.
Your primary responsibilities will include:
- Developing and maintaining tools for the functional annotation of variants;
- Developing, maintaining and running efficient methods for large-scale data management;
- Investigating and integrating new sources of genomic variation and phenotype association data;
- Collaborating with members of the broader Ensembl team both on specific development projects and to coordinate regular data/software releases;
- Engaging with our user community to provide support and understand their needs;
- Sharing our work at internal meetings and scientific conferences.
- Experience of managing and analysing large scale genomics data, preferably genetic variation data
- A good understanding of at least one programming language,
- Experience the use of database systems for the management of genomics data
- Proficiency working in a UNIX/Linux environment.
- Skills and motivation to deliver a high-quality product with excellent attention to detail.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently while also interacting in a team of international scientists.
- Scientific curiosity and initiative
You might also have
- Experience of working in a production environment
- Experience of the design and development of efficient large-scale data analysis pipelines and user-friendly APIs
- Familiarity with Perl and MySQL
- Familiarity with the Ensembl APIs and services
Why join us
EMBL-EBI is a worldwide leader in bioinformatics. We encourage personal and professional development and are committed to ensuring our employees feel valued, supported and empowered to reach their potential at work
Surrounded by beautiful South Cambridgeshire countryside, our state-of-the-art Campus provides employees with a relaxed atmosphere where the pursuit of scientific discovery and meaningful work, underpin every role. In addition, our employees have access to a wide range of benefits including:
- 30 days annual leave per year plus 8 bank holidays
- Flexible work arrangements
- Unique pension scheme including 17% employer contribution
- Annual salary review
- Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family (including all prescriptions and generous dental & optical cover)
- Death benefit, long-term care, accident at work and unemployment insurances
- Relocation package including installation grant (if required)
- On-site library and subsidised on-site gym and cafeteria
- Casual dress code
- Free shuttle bus to and from Campus
- Extensive sports and social club activities (run on campus and remotely)
- Family benefits: Onsite nursery, child sick leave, generous parental leave, holiday clubs on campus and monthly family and child allowances
- Benefits for non-UK residents:Visa exemption, education grant for private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home country every second year and a monthly non-resident allowance
What else you need to know
This position is a 3 year contract, renewable to a maximum of 9 years.
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV through our online system.
At EMBL-EBI, we strongly believe that inclusive and diverse teams benefit from higher levels of innovation and creative thought. We encourage applications from women, LGBTQ and individuals from all nationalities. Visa exemptions will be offered to international candidates and details will be discussed during interview.
This role is based in Hinxton, UK and you will be required to relocate once it is safe to do so if you are currently based abroad. More info on how we are recruiting in this period is available on our page: Recruitment and Onboarding during Covid19.