Equality and Diversity Officer
- Location: EMBL-EBI Hinxton
- Staff category: Staff Member
- Job type: Administration
- Contract duration: One year
- Grading: Grade 5 or 6 (starting at £2,738 or £3,063 per month after tax) + other paid benefits
- Closing date: 20 April 2021
- Reference number: EBI01817
Continue reading for more information about this position, or apply now
About this position
As a consequence of this commitment to equality and diversity, EMBL-EBI is looking for an Equality and Diversity Officer to be part of the EMBL-wide EDI team. We are seeking somebody who will take a strategic approach, as part of the EMBL EDI team, to developing and embedding policies and practices that will improve diversity, equality and gender balance across each of EMBL’s sites.
The successful candidate will work closely with leadership and staff at Hinxton, EMBL in Heidelberg, Genome Campus colleagues from the Wellcome Sanger Institute and other external stakeholders in the fields of gender and diversity. The post holder will report regularly to EMBL’s Equality and Diversity Forum and support its Chair, the Head of EDI, working closely with the Heidelberg-based Equality and Diversity Officer.
This role has responsibility for regular gathering, analysing and reporting of statistical data pertaining to EDI and presenting this to leadership and staff. In addition, the Equality and Diversity officer will work with colleagues in the EDI team to develop and implement an EDI strategy that will ensure EMBL makes strides towards achieving greater diversity and career equality for all staff, irrespective of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity or disability.
The successful candidate will convene and chair monthly meetings of EMBL-EBI’s Equality in Science working group and will participate in meetings of EMBL’s Equality and Diversity Committee (EDC) and other external groups and committees where appropriate.
EMBL-EBI is a partner in the Wellcome Genome Campus Equality in Science programme, established in 2011 and led by the Wellcome Sanger Institute. This programme offers a forum for open discussion of EDI issues and organises range of events to promote awareness of the issues surrounding equality and diversity in science careers. The incumbent will be an active participant in the meetings of this group and its networks (LGBTQ+, Race Equality and Parent and Carer).
We are looking for an energetic individual with a demonstrable track record of working on equality and diversity projects, with good strategic vision and project management skills, able to develop and implement an EMBL-wide EDI strategy. You will be confident to engage widely within our organisation and across the equality and diversity community in the UK and Europe, to bring new ideas and best practice back into our organisation. We will look to the incumbent to be proactive in offering guidance and direction to our leadership in all matters related to equality and diversity.
The role calls for somebody confident, able to be self-directed and to engage well with and present effectively to leadership and other staff across the organisation. It is important to be numerate and have strong skills in data analysis and the use of Excel. You will be an enthusiastic self-starter, working closely with the HR Team on data and statistics, and able to both chair and administer meetings. Flexibility is called for to adapt to the ever-changing landscape and to take on new tasks as and when they occur. EMBL is at the start of its EDI journey and we are seeking a resilient individual, able to manage a considerable workload and multiple calls on their time.
You might also have
- Educated to degree level
- Demonstrable experience in delivering equality and diversity projects
- Strategic, numerate and with project management skills
- Proficient with pivot tables in Excel and the presentation of data in engaging formats
- Good writing skills for a range of audiences, both internal and external to publicise initiatives and events
- Confident administering and chairing meetings and giving presentations
- Willing and able to undertake European travel as required
- Able to work effectively in a matrix-managed, distributed team
- Comfortable working with scientific leadership and staff as well as with EMBL’s Head of EDI and the EDI Officer based in Heidelberg
- Experience of working internationally would be desirable
Why join us
EMBL-EBI is a worldwide leader in bioinformatics. We encourage personal and professional development and are committed to ensuring our employees feel valued, supported and empowered to reach their potential at work.
Surrounded by beautiful South Cambridgeshire countryside, our state-of-the-art Campus provides employees with a relaxed atmosphere where the pursuit of scientific discovery and meaningful work, underpin every role. In addition, our employees have access to a wide range of benefits including:
- 30 days annual leave per year plus 8 bank holidays
- Flexible work arrangements
- Unique pension scheme including 17% employer contribution
- Annual salary review
- Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family (including all prescriptions and generous dental & optical cover)
- Death benefit, long-term care, accident at work and unemployment insurances
- Relocation package including installation grant (if required)
- On-site library and subsidised on-site gym and cafeteria
- Casual dress code
- Free shuttle bus to and from Campus
- Extensive sports and social club activities (run on campus and remotely)
- Family benefits: Onsite nursery, child sick leave, generous parental leave, holiday clubs on campus and monthly family and child allowances
- Benefits for non-UK residents:Visa exemption, education grant for private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home country every second year and a monthly non-resident allowance
What else you need to know
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV through our online system.
At EMBL-EBI, we strongly believe that inclusive and diverse teams benefit from higher levels of innovation and creative thought. We encourage applications from women, LGBTQ and individuals from all nationalities. Visa exemptions will be offered to international candidates and details will be discussed during interview.
This role is based in Hinxton, UK and you will be required to relocate once it is safe to do so if you are currently based abroad. More info on how we are recruiting in this period is available on our page: Recruitment and Onboarding during Covid19.
This is a fixed term contract for one year