Database Administrator (POSTGRESQL)
- Location: EMBL-EBI Hinxton
- Staff category: Supernumerary
- Job type: IT and Infrastructure
- Contract duration: 8 months
- Grading: Grade 5 (Monthly salary starting at £2,738 per month)
- Closing date: 20 April 2021
- Reference number: EBI01816
Continue reading for more information about this position, or apply now
About this position
The Database Team provides day-to-day Database Administration and Engineering for the production, development, and test database environments supporting the Bioinformatics activities of EBI.
The team activities range from the deployment of new database backends to the refactoring of existing ones, to addressing incidents and any new requirements as well as database performance tuning and query optimisation.
The supported database technologies are MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL, MongoDB and MS SQL Server. The large central database environment is deployed over a Virtual Infrastructure and incorporates multi-Terabyte databases across geographically distributed production, public-facing and disaster recovery data centres.
We are looking for a PostgreSQL DBA to join us and work alongside with the existing team to support primarily the PostgreSQL DBA activities and occasionally Oracle.
The role includes working with Delphix Virtualisation to which you will gain experience.
You will report to the Database Team Coordinator in the Systems Applications Team.
- Degree in I.T., Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- Hands-on experience of Database Administration of PostgreSQL in a Linux OS
- Experience with PostgreSQL versions from 9.5 to 13
- Experience with Puppet and Foreman
- Experience with Python, Shell
- Strong troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Team player
- Clear communication
- Able to work on deadlines
- Excellent working knowledge of English
- Demonstrable proven experience in a role with similar responsibilities
You might also have
Desired skills and experience include:
- Administration, configuration and tuning of Oracle is a plus.
- Experience and understanding of operation of databases on VMware
Why join us
EMBL-EBI is a worldwide leader in bioinformatics. We encourage personal and professional development and are committed to ensuring our employees feel valued, supported and empowered to reach their potential at work.
Surrounded by beautiful South Cambridgeshire countryside, our state-of-the-art Campus provides employees with a relaxed atmosphere where the pursuit of scientific discovery and meaningful work, underpin every role. In addition, our employees have access to a wide range of benefits including:
What else you need to know
This is an absence cover until December 2021.
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV through our online system.
At EMBL-EBI, we strongly believe that inclusive and diverse teams benefit from higher levels of innovation and creative thought. We encourage applications from women, LGBTQ and individuals from all nationalities. Visa exemptions will be offered to international candidates and details will be discussed during interview.
This role is based in Hinxton, UK and you will be required to relocate once it is safe to do so if you are currently based abroad. More info on how we are recruiting in this period is available on our page: Recruitment and Onboarding during Covid19.