- Location: EMBL-EBI Hinxton
- Staff category: Staff Member
- Job type: IT and Infrastructure
- Contract duration: 3 years (renewable upto 9 years)
- Grading: Grade 6 (Monthly starting salary £3,063 + other paid allowances and benefits)
- Closing date: 23 April 2021
- Reference number: EBI01815
Continue reading for more information about this position, or apply now
About this position
We are seeking a highly motivated and experienced HPC engineer to join our Compute team within our Technical Services Cluster (TSC), serving an institute of over 800 researchers and technical staff.
You will be working closely with members of the department, and more widely with technical users across EMBL-EBI, playing an active role in the design, deployment and operation of our HPC clusters. EMBL-EBI has multiple large HPC clusters to support the large data flows and processing services fundamental to EMBL-EBI activities.
The services you will provide, along with the department, enable EMBL-EBI’s technical research and administrative staff to process and make the world’s public biological data freely available to the scientific community via a range of services and tools, perform basic research and provide professional training in bioinformatics.
EMBL-EBI is custodian to an ever increasing volume of data which is made publicly available and is processed internally via multiple HPC clusters, virtualization platforms and private & public clouds. This position offers you the chance to work with a great team, gain experience with a range of high end HPC hardware and storage.
Working as part of the 4 member Compute team, under the direction of the Head of Infrastructure, you will:
- Ensure the day-to-day operation, reliability, and integrity of EMBL-EBI’s HPC clusters, including schedulers, software, hardware and networking
- Recommend, design and deploy future EMBL-EBI HPC clusters and infrastructure, including both logical configuration and physical racking and cabling
- Automate the setup and configuration of clusters, using tools such as Ansible
- Support users and investigate and resolve complex issues where in-depth evaluation of various technical and non-technical factors is required
- Build positive relationships, communicating openly and professionally within the team and with stakeholders from the TSC and wider EMBL-EBI community
- Produce high quality documentation to support work done, and work actively to share knowledge within the team
You will work both collaboratively and with a reasonable degree of autonomy and regularly present your work back to collaborators and stakeholders to gather feedback.
- At least 5 year of experience with HPC cluster setup, configuration and maintenance
- Strong Linux administration skills, ideally with RHEL or a RHEL clone
- Strong skills with Linux automation frameworks such as Ansible
- Solid skills in at least one programming language, ideally python
- Solid interpersonal and written English communication skills
You might also have
Experience with the following would be desirable but not essential:
- Modules environment configuration, ideally using SPACK
- Parallel storage technologies, such as Lustre, GPFS or BeeGFS
- Cloud technologies, including Google or AWS
- Experience working in an education or research environment
- Container technologies, ideally Singularity or Docker
- Methodologies for infrastructure monitoring.
- Job schedulers, ideally LSF and/or Slurm
- Experience with compiling from source and troubleshooting
- Various network technologies, such as ethernet and infiniband
Why join us
EMBL-EBI is a worldwide leader in bioinformatics. We encourage personal and professional development and are committed to ensuring our employees feel valued, supported and empowered to reach their potential at work.
Surrounded by beautiful South Cambridgeshire countryside, our state-of-the-art Campus provides employees with a relaxed atmosphere where the pursuit of scientific discovery and meaningful work, underpin every role. In addition, our employees have access to a wide range of benefits including:
- 30 days annual leave per year plus 8 bank holidays
- Flexible work arrangements
- Unique pension scheme including 17% employer contribution
- Annual salary review
- Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family (including all prescriptions and generous dental & optical cover)
- Death benefit, long-term care, accident at work and unemployment insurances
- Relocation package including installation grant (if required)
- On-site library and subsidised on-site gym and cafeteria
- Casual dress code
- Free shuttle bus to and from Campus
- Extensive sports and social club activities (run on campus and remotely)
- Family benefits: Onsite nursery, child sick leave, generous parental leave, holiday clubs on campus and monthly family and child allowances
- Benefits for non-UK residents:Visa exemption, education grant for private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home country every second year and a monthly non-resident allowance
What else you need to know
This position is a 3 year contract, renewable to a maximum of 9 years.
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV through our online system.
At EMBL-EBI, we strongly believe that inclusive and diverse teams benefit from higher levels of innovation and creative thought. We encourage applications from women, LGBTQ and individuals from all nationalities. Visa exemptions will be offered to international candidates and details will be discussed during interview.
This role is based in Hinxton, UK and you will be required to relocate once it is safe to do so if you are currently based abroad. More info on how we are recruiting in this period is available on our page: Recruitment and Onboarding during Covid19.