Phenomics Team Leader
- Location: EMBL-EBI Hinxton
- Staff category: Staff Member
- Job type: Scientific Services and Support
- Contract duration: 5 years (renewable to a maximum of 9 years)
- Grading: Grade 9.0 (monthly salary from £4,959.28 after tax)
- Closing date: 29 April 2021
- Reference number: EBI01814
Continue reading for more information about this position, or apply now
About this position
The European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) seeks a Phenomics Team Leader to provide leadership for a newly created Phenomics Team.
This post has been created to leverage the unprecedented depth and breadth of existing human cohort and model data and will integrate and analyse this data using sophisticated computational and statistical approaches, to dissect the gene–environment interplay and its effects on phenotypes.
This post holder will provide leadership for several existing high profile phenomics projects and existing data resources including those for model species such as the Knockout Mouse Project 2, Patient Derived Cancer Models and projects relevant for Human Health including the GWAS Catalog, Polygenic Score Catalog, Intervene and EMBL member state national collaborations, for example with Health Data Research UK.
You will lead a faculty level team consisting of approximately 15 staff members working on diverse phenomics projects and will develop new collaborations and projects in line with EMBL-EBI’s medical strategy and EMBL’s Human Ecosystems Transversal Theme.
You will work closely with colleagues in EMBL-EBI delivering phenome relevant genomic and gene expression data, for example the European Genome Phenome Archive and Ensembl. In addition, the Team Leader will be expected to extend existing connections with relevant health care and research organisations in EMBL’s member states and worldwide such as the Global Alliance for Genomics and Health (GA4GH) and International Common Disease Association. There are excellent links to projects generating data across EMBL’s member states and the post holder will benefit from local context, including the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute and the University of Cambridge, for example on the Polygenic Score Cataloge.
- A PhD in a Biomedical or Computational field or equivalent experience, for example from industry
- An excellent understanding of data collection, handling, processing, analysis, visualisation, interpretation, archiving, dissemination of mammalian model organism data or human phenomics data
- A demonstrated knowledge of phenomics data, preferably gained in a research, healthcare or production environment
- An understanding of software development and an ability to deliver bioinformatics services and data analysis tools (you will be leading a team of developers and data analysts)
- The ability to engage researchers and data generators to build a community of collaborators
- Enthusiasm, commitment and drive to extend the role into new areas
You might also have
- Post-doctoral experience in biomedical sciences, preferably with data analysis and software development experience
- Experience with GWAS, PheWAS, Polygenic scores and health research data
- Experience running production quality services for a variety of user groups
- Experience in writing successful grants and establishing collaborations
- Experience managing complex international projects
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with a collaborative spirit
Why join us
Do something meaningful
At EMBL-EBI you can apply your talent and passion to accelerate science and tackle some of humankind's greatest challenges. EMBL-EBI is a worldwide leader in the storage, analysis and dissemination of large biological datasets. We provide the global research community with access to publicly available databases and tools which are crucial for the advancement of healthcare, food security, and biodiversity.
Join a culture of innovation
We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus, alongside other prominent research and biotech organisations, and surrounded by beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. This is a highly collaborative and inclusive community where our employees enjoy a relaxed atmosphere. We are committed to ensuring our employees feel valued, supported and empowered to reach their professional potential.
Enjoy lots of benefits:
- Financial incentives: Monthly family, child and non-resident allowances, annual salary review, pension scheme including 17% employer contribution, death benefit, long-term care, accident-at-work and unemployment insurances
- Flexible working arrangements
- Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family (including all prescriptions and generous dental & optical cover)
- Generous time off: 30 days annual leave per year, in addition to eight bank holidays
- Relocation package including installation grant (if required
- Campus life: Free shuttle bus to and from work, on-site library, subsidised on-site gym and cafeteria, casual dress code, extensive sports and social club activities (on campus and remotely)
- Family benefits: On-site nursery, 10 days of child sick leave, generous parental leave, holiday clubs on campus and monthly family and child allowances
- Benefits for non-UK residents: Visa exemption, education grant for private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home country every second year and a monthly non-resident allowance.
For more details please see our employee benefits page.
What else you need to know
- Contract duration: This position is a 5 year contract, renewable to a maximum of 9 years.
- International applicants: We recruit internationally and successful candidates are offered visa exemptions. Read more on our page for international applicants.
- Diversity and inclusion: At EMBL-EBI, we strongly believe that inclusive and diverse teams benefit from higher levels of innovation and creative thought. We encourage applications from women, LGBTQ+ and individuals from all nationalities.
- Job location: This role is based in Hinxton, UK and you will be required to relocate once it is safe to do so, if you are currently based abroad. Read more about how we are recruiting during the pandemic.
- How to apply: To apply please submit a cover letter and a CV through our online system. Please also provide the names and contact details of 3 referees at the time of application. There will also be the option to upload written references if you have these already. We aim to provide a response within two weeks after the closing date: 29th April 2021.