Software Developer (InterPro)
- Location: EMBL-EBI Hinxton
- Staff category: Staff Member
- Job type: Software Development and Engineering
- Contract duration: 3 years
- Grading: 5-6 (Monthly salary starting at £2,728 - £3,063) Plus other paid benefits
- Closing date: 18 April 2021
- Reference number: EBI01813
Continue reading for more information about this position, or apply now
About this position
We are seeking an experienced software developer to join the InterPro team at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) and contribute to the development and maintenance of the InterPro database and InterProScan software.
InterPro (https://www.ebi.ac.uk/interpro/) is one of the leading databases for protein classification and identification of functionally important domains and conserved sites. It integrates predictive models, describing protein families, domains, and sites, from over ten specialized databases.
You will report to the Sequence Families Team leader and will be part of the development team that maintains the InterPro resources and InterProScan software and executes the analysis pipelines that underpin these services
The core responsibility will be to design, develop, test, document and maintain InterProScan software and production pipelines. You will also be expected to contribute towards implementing new features in the InterPro database resources, and ensuring the timely release of InterPro and InterProScan.
We use modern software development and devops tools and practices including using Github, Jira, and practise an Agile software development philosophy (Scrum).
You are an experienced highly self-motivated software developer who is well-versed in creating robust, well-designed and well-documented code and processes. Specifically, you should have:
- Postgraduate degree in bioinformatics, computer science or a related discipline, although candidates with equivalent experience will also be considered
- Strong Java programming background (minimum 3 years)
- Practical experience with Python and/or other programming languages
- Practical experience with relational databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL)
- Confident in the manipulation and interrogation of large data sets
- Strong Unix/Linux background
- Experience with software version control (Git, Github)
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience working collaboratively within a team
You might also have
Experience of the following would be advantageous.
- High-performance computing environments and job schedulers (LSF, SLURM)
- Cloud technologies, including Kubernetes, Docker, and Singularity
- NoSQL technologies
- Relational databases (e.g., Oracle)
- Bioinformatics and biological resource development
Why join us
EMBL-EBI is a worldwide leader in bioinformatics. We encourage personal and professional development and are committed to ensuring our employees feel valued, supported and empowered to reach their potential at work.
Surrounded by beautiful South Cambridgeshire countryside, our state-of-the-art Campus provides employees with a relaxed atmosphere where the pursuit of scientific discovery and meaningful work, underpin every role. In addition, our employees have access to a wide range of benefits including:
- 30 days annual leave per year plus 8 bank holidays
- Flexible work arrangements
- Unique pension scheme including 17% employer contribution
- Annual salary review
- Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family (including all prescriptions and generous dental & optical cover)
- Death benefit, long-term care, accident at work and unemployment insurances
- Relocation package including installation grant (if required)
- On-site library and subsidised on-site gym and cafeteria
- Casual dress code
- Free shuttle bus to and from Campus
- Extensive sports and social club activities (run on campus and remotely)
- Family benefits: Onsite nursery, child sick leave, generous parental leave, holiday clubs on campus and monthly family and child allowances
- Benefits for non-UK residents:Visa exemption, education grant for private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home country every second year and a monthly non-resident allowance
What else you need to know
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV through our online system.
At EMBL-EBI, we strongly believe that inclusive and diverse teams benefit from higher levels of innovation and creative thought. We encourage applications from women, LGBTQ and individuals from all nationalities. Visa exemptions will be offered to international candidates and details will be discussed during interview.
This role is based in Hinxton, UK and you will be required to relocate once it is safe to do so if you are currently based abroad. More info on how we are recruiting in this period is available on our page: Recruitment and Onboarding during Covid19.
This position is a 3 year contract, renewable to a maximum of 9 years.