Full Stack Developer
- Location: EMBL-EBI Hinxton
- Staff category: Staff Member
- Job type: Software Development and Engineering
- Contract duration: 3 years
- Grading: 5-6 (Monthly salary starting at £2,728 - £3,063 after tax) plus other paid benefits
- Closing date: 16 April 2021
- Reference number: EBI01803
Continue reading for more information about this position, or apply now
About this position
We are looking to recruit an experienced Full Stack developer to join the Literature Services Team at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) located on the Wellcome Trust Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK. EMBL-EBI is part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL).
Our team develops and maintains EuropePMC (https://europepmc.org/) - a repository of 6.5 million full text biomedical research articles, supplemented with ~38 million abstracts, database links and citation information which is supported by 30 international biomedical funders.
This is an excellent opportunity to contribute to an ambitious open science project that aims to become the literature resource of choice for life science and biomedical researchers worldwide.
You will be working together with the rest of the team (Developers, Tester, UX, Product Manager, Team Leader, Data Scientist, Community Manager, Help Desk, Database Administrators - DBAs) in an Agile environment and will need to collaborate with external collaborators.
You will be responsible for engineering solutions and for the development and maintenance of software components that will support both the ingest and consumption of content including metadata, abstracts, full text journal articles, preprints, grey literature and related data. There will be opportunities for the right candidate to participate in designing and implementing innovative software components handling large scale dataset, accessed by a significant number of users.
The position reports to the Technical Project Leader in the Literature Services team and specific tasks will include:
- Development of new features and maintenance of the existing ones for both the back-end and front-end components of the Europe PMC applications portfolio
- Tuning the performance of software components with high user traffic
- Monitoring the servers running live applications and troubleshooting problems
- Contributing to the improvement of the team’s software development process
- Development and maintenance of content input and processing pipelines, building on existing capabilities
- Interaction with System groups that take care of the hardware infrastructure used to run the Europe PMC applications (Database, Storage, VMs, Kubernetes Cloud)
- Knowledge of Java technologies (Spring, Hibernate, JDBC, etc)
- Knowledge of Relational (Oracle/Postgres) and No SQL (Mongo) databases
- Knowledge of Lucene/Solr technologies
- Experience working on data-driven websites with high user traffic.
- Knowledge of Tomcat, Apache Web Server
- Knowledge of Linux systems and relative Shell scripting
- Strong technical experience within information science.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to operate in an international environment and being competent in spoken and written English
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a project team, managing personal priorities and workload effectively
You might also have
- A University degree in Computer Science or have equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of Cloud based technologies (Docker, Kubernetes, etc.)
- Knowledge of XML parsing strategies and XSLT
- Knowledge of scientific publishing, Bioinformatics or biological resource development experience
- Experiencing working in an Agile environment
Why join us
Do something meaningful
At EMBL-EBI you can apply your talent and passion to accelerate science and tackle some of humankind's greatest challenges. EMBL-EBI is a worldwide leader in the storage, analysis and dissemination of large biological datasets. We provide the global research community with access to publicly available databases and tools which are crucial for the advancement of healthcare, food security, and biodiversity.
Join a culture of innovation
We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus, alongside other prominent research and biotech organisations, and surrounded by beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. This is a highly collaborative and inclusive community where our employees enjoy a relaxed atmosphere. We are committed to ensuring our employees feel valued, supported and empowered to reach their professional potential.
Enjoy lots of benefits:
- Financial incentives: Monthly family, child and non-resident allowances, annual salary review, pension scheme including 17% employer contribution, death benefit, long-term care, accident-at-work and unemployment insurances
- Flexible working arrangements
- Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family (including all prescriptions and generous dental & optical cover)
- Generous time off: 30 days annual leave per year, in addition to eight bank holidays
- Relocation package including installation grant (if required
- Campus life: Free shuttle bus to and from work, on-site library, subsidised on-site gym and cafeteria, casual dress code, extensive sports and social club activities (on campus and remotely)
- Family benefits: On-site nursery, 10 days of child sick leave, generous parental leave, holiday clubs on campus and monthly family and child allowances
- Benefits for non-UK residents: Visa exemption, education grant for private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home country every second year and a monthly non-resident allowance.
For more details please see our employee benefits page.
What else you need to know
- Contract duration: This position is a 3 year contract, renewable to a maximum of 9 years.
- International applicants: We recruit internationally and successful candidates are offered visa exemptions. Read more on our page for international applicants.
- Diversity and inclusion: At EMBL-EBI, we strongly believe that inclusive and diverse teams benefit from higher levels of innovation and creative thought. We encourage applications from women, LGBTQ+ and individuals from all nationalities.
- Job location: This role is based in Hinxton, UK and you will be required to relocate once it is safe to do so, if you are currently based abroad. Read more about how we are recruiting during the pandemic.
- How to apply: To apply please submit a cover letter and a CV through our online system. We aim to provide a response within two weeks after the closing date: 16th April 2021.