- Location: EMBL-EBI Hinxton
- Staff category: Staff Member
- Job type: Administration
- Contract duration: 3 years (renewable to 9 years)
- Grading: Grade 3 (monthly salary starting at £2,346.68 after tax)
- Closing date: 12 March 2021
- Reference number: EBI01792
Continue reading for more information about this position, or apply now
About this position
We are looking for a Team Administrator to join the Research Office at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) located on the Wellcome Trust Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK.
You will be working in a dynamic and fast-paced environment in the Research Office, providing effective support to the EMBL-EBI Research Group Leaders and their groups, frequently liaising with internal and external contacts all over the world.
About the team – The Research Office coordinates a wide range of activities including administration and recruitment on the EMBL International PhD Programme and EMBL’s Postdoctoral Programmes together with general administrative and secretarial services for our Research Groups. You will work as part of a small team alongside another full-time Team Administrator reporting to the Administrative Officer (Research Office) in delivering an effective service supporting the Group Leaders as well as Postdoctoral and Predoctoral Fellows (PhD students).
EMBL and EMBL-EBI are undergoing an exciting period of change with the recent recruitment of a new Head of Research, and the postholder should be flexible and willing to adapt to the changing needs and priorities in the Research Office. The list of duties and responsibilities as described here and in the enclosed job description is not exhaustive, and the postholder is expected to undertake any other administrative duties as agreed with the Head of Research and the Administrative Officer (Research Office) consistent with the grading of this post. Occasional travel and out of hours work may be required at specific times, but the arrangements will be agreed in advance.
While this is primarily a full-time position, part-time arrangements at not less than 75% FTE can be discussed with the right candidate.
In total, the Research Office currently looks after 10 Research groups, however the wider EMBL-EBI Research community consists of additional eight other Service Team Leaders who run small research groups alongside their service provision activities. The main duties of this role include day-to-day diary management, travel/logistics arrangements and offering efficient support to the Research Group Leaders and their teams. This includes making complex international travel arrangements, purchasing of equipment, processing travel reimbursements and other similar tasks.
In addition, the Research Office organises a series of lectures, makes arrangements for PhD student recruitment, annual Research Retreat and other similar regular events. You will work closely with the Research Office colleagues to provide a high-quality administrative service to the EBI Research community.
- You will have a record of administrative support preferably within an academic or research environment
- High-level of attention to detail, excellent organisation, interpersonal and communication skills and a flexible approach to work
- You will need to be highly motivated, resourceful and forward-thinking with strong organisational and communication skills
- The ability to demonstrate experience of working both independently as well as part of a team is important
- A good working knowledge of Windows, MS office applications, email and web applications such as Google suite is required
You might also have
- Knowledge and understanding of the Cambridge University graduate admissions process is desirable but not essential
- You may also have experience of PA support including diary management and making complex travel arrangements
- In your past roles you may have used SAP or FileMaker
- Interest in research and excitement of the mission of EMBL-EBI is a bonus.
- The working language at the EMBL-EBI is English, however knowledge of other languages (particularly German, French, Italian or Spanish) is a bonus
Why join us
EMBL-EBI is a worldwide leader in bioinformatics. We encourage personal and professional development and are committed to ensuring our employees feel valued, supported and empowered to reach their potential at work.
Surrounded by beautiful South Cambridgeshire countryside, our state-of-the-art Campus provides employees with a relaxed atmosphere where the pursuit of scientific discovery and meaningful work, underpin every role. In addition, our employees have access to a wide range of benefits including:
- 30 days annual leave per year plus 8 bank holidays
- Flexible work arrangements
- Unique pension scheme including 17% employer contribution
- Annual salary review
- Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family (including all prescriptions and generous dental & optical cover)
- Death benefit, long-term care, accident at work and unemployment insurances
- Relocation package including installation grant (if required)
- On-site library and subsidised on-site gym and cafeteria
- Casual dress code
- Free shuttle bus to and from Campus
- Extensive sports and social club activities (run on campus and remotely)
- Family benefits: Onsite nursery, child sick leave, generous parental leave, holiday clubs on campus and monthly family and child allowances
- Benefits for non-UK residents: Visa exemption, education grant for private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home country every second year and a monthly non-resident allowance
What else you need to know
This position is a 3 year contract, renewable to a maximum of 9 years.
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV through our online system.
At EMBL-EBI, we strongly believe that inclusive and diverse teams benefit from higher levels of innovation and creative thought. We encourage applications from women, LGBTQ and individuals from all nationalities. Visa exemptions will be offered to international candidates and details will be discussed during interview.
This role is based in Hinxton, UK and you will be required to relocate once it is safe to do so if you are currently based abroad. More info on how we are recruiting in this period is available on our page: Recruitment and Onboarding during Covid19.
Applications will close on 12th March 2021 and we aim to provide a response within two weeks after the closing date.