Software Developer (RFAM)
- Location: EMBL-EBI Hinxton
- Staff category: Staff Member
- Job type: Scientific Services and Support
- Contract duration: December 2023
- Grading: Grade 5 or 6 (starting at £2,738 or £3,063 per month after tax) + other paid benefits
- Closing date: 23 April 2021
- Reference number: EBI01789
Continue reading for more information about this position, or apply now
About this position
Continuously developed since 2002, Rfam has grown to include >3,000 families and is used by many scientists for a wide range of applications, such as the annotation of new genomes and developing RNA structure prediction algorithms. Currently funded by the BBSRC and Wellcome, Rfam is a key resource for RNA Biology that serves tens of thousands of users every year and is highly cited in the scientific literature.
You will be a member of the RNA Resources team which is part of Alex Bateman’s Sequence Families group. You will report to the RNA Resources Project Leader, Anton Petrov, and work alongside the Rfam Biocurator and the team responsible for the RNAcentral database. You will also interact with external collaborators and other teams across EMBL-EBI.
Your main task will be the regular release of new Rfam data and the maintenance of the website and various online services. In addition, you will work closely with the Biocurator and Project Leader to create software to enhance curation and analyses of RNA-related datasets. You will also develop the Rfam Cloud environment, provide user support, and maintain the Rfam website. As Rfam is a mature project, you will be exposed to a wide range of technologies from older Perl frameworks to cutting-edge cloud stack. In addition to contributing to the Rfam source code, you will also participate in scientific meetings and public engagement events to disseminate the outcomes of the project.
- BSc (or higher) degree in Computer Science, Bioinformatics, or a related subject
- Knowledge of Python and Perl programming languages
- Practical experience with relational databases (MySQL, Postgres)
- Experience of cloud technologies, including Kubernetes, Docker, and Terraform
- Familiarity with Git, GitHub, Unix, and Bash
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience working collaboratively within a team
You might also have
- Practical experience with large biological datasets
- Familiarity with high-performance computing environments and job schedulers (ideally LSF)
- Ability to navigate complex codebases
- Experience writing scientific publications
- Knowledge of RNA Biology will be a plus
Why join us
EMBL-EBI is a worldwide leader in bioinformatics. We encourage personal and professional development and are committed to ensuring our employees feel valued, supported and empowered to reach their potential at work.
Surrounded by beautiful South Cambridgeshire countryside, our state-of-the-art Campus provides employees with a relaxed atmosphere where the pursuit of scientific discovery and meaningful work, underpin every role. In addition, our employees have access to a wide range of benefits including:
- 30 days annual leave per year plus 8 bank holidays
- Flexible work arrangements
- Unique pension scheme including 17% employer contribution
- Annual salary review
- Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family (including all prescriptions and generous dental & optical cover)
- Death benefit, long-term care, accident at work and unemployment insurances
- Relocation package including installation grant (if required)
- On-site library and subsidised on-site gym and cafeteria
- Casual dress code
- Free shuttle bus to and from Campus
- Extensive sports and social club activities (run on campus and remotely)
- Family benefits: Onsite nursery, child sick leave, generous parental leave, holiday clubs on campus and monthly family and child allowances
- Benefits for non-UK residents:Visa exemption, education grant for private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home country every second year and a monthly non-resident allowance
What else you need to know
This is a project based role until December 2023
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV through our online system.
At EMBL-EBI, we strongly believe that inclusive and diverse teams benefit from higher levels of innovation and creative thought. We encourage applications from women, LGBTQ and individuals from all nationalities. Visa exemptions will be offered to international candidates and details will be discussed during interview.
This role is based in Hinxton, UK and you will be required to relocate once it is safe to do so if you are currently based abroad. More info on how we are recruiting in this period is available on our page: Recruitment and Onboarding during Covid19.