Virtual Infrastructure Engineer
- Location: EMBL-EBI Hinxton
- Staff category: Staff Member
- Job type: IT and Infrastructure
- Contract duration: 3 years (renewable up to 9 years)
- Grading: 5-6 Monthly salary starting at £2,738 - £3,063 Plus other paid benefits
- Closing date: 24 March 2021
- Reference number: EBI01785
Continue reading for more information about this position, or apply now
About this position
Working in our growing Technical Services team we are looking for a highly motivated individual to take on a role as a Virtual infrastructure Engineer. EMBL-EBI offers a unique opportunity to acquire professional experience in an international scientific environment with access to cutting edge technologies.
You will join a diverse, multidisciplinary team of over 850 forward thinking people, which currently represent over 70 nationalities.
This exciting role develops and supports our virtual infrastructure based on VMware.
In your role you will contribute to and learn OpenStack & Kubernetes skills. We are passionate about technology and making it work effectively for complex workloads. We are looking for an applicant who shares this vision and is prepared to actively collaborate with team members to innovate and support cutting edge virtualized computing environments at EMBL-EBI.
The role is diverse and no two days are the same; from configuring new VMware hosts to troubleshooting performance issues and contributing to the architecture of EMBL-EBI’s 4000 VMs VMware estate and while you are at it also learning and developing skills in OpenStack and Kubernetes. We consider personal development and continuous learning an important aspect of the role, and with this ethos the team keeps abreast of the latest technologies.
This position is full time; however part time applications are welcomed.
You will have an extensive background in VMWare operations and development. You will be able to support IT to an advanced level and be accustomed to working within a diverse and changing environment. Alignment with ITIL and an approach of continually improving will help you greatly in this role
Ideally you will have either a degree in I.T., Computer Science or equivalent work experience and will possess strong VMware troubleshooting and problem-solving skills. You should also have experience of Linux administration and should be comfortable working collaboratively in an agile environment, with an automation oriented mindset.
The candidate will have excellent English and communication skills and be able to work well within a team. Being user focused is very important as the role will often include interacting with internal and external users by answering queries and developing documentation.
Why join us
EMBL-EBI is a worldwide leader in bioinformatics. We encourage personal and professional development and are committed to ensuring our employees feel valued, supported and empowered to reach their potential at work.
Surrounded by beautiful South Cambridgeshire countryside, our state-of-the-art Campus provides employees with a relaxed atmosphere where the pursuit of scientific discovery and meaningful work, underpin every role. In addition, our employees have access to a wide range of benefits including:
- 30 days annual leave per year plus 8 bank holidays
- Flexible work arrangements
- Unique pension scheme including 17% employer contribution
- Annual salary review
- Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family (including all prescriptions and generous dental & optical cover)
- Death benefit, long-term care, accident at work and unemployment insurances
- Relocation package including installation grant (if required)
- On-site library and subsidised on-site gym and cafeteria
- Casual dress code
- Free shuttle bus to and from Campus
- Extensive sports and social club activities (run on campus and remotely)
- Family benefits: Onsite nursery, child sick leave, generous parental leave, holiday clubs on campus and monthly family and child allowances
- Benefits for non-UK residents:Visa exemption, education grant for private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home country every second year and a monthly non-resident allowance
What else you need to know
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV through our online system.
At EMBL-EBI, we strongly believe that inclusive and diverse teams benefit from higher levels of innovation and creative thought. We encourage applications from women, LGBTQ and individuals from all nationalities. Visa exemptions will be offered to international candidates and details will be discussed during interview. We believe in science without borders and this continues after Brexit.
This role is based in Hinxton, UK and you will be required to relocate once it is safe to do so if you are currently based abroad. More info on how we are recruiting in this period is available on our page: Recruitment and Onboarding during Covid19.