Biological Data and Bioimaging Project Manager
- Location: EMBL-EBI Hinxton
- Staff category: Staff Member
- Job type: Administration
- Contract duration: 3 years
- Grading: Grade 5 (monthly salary starting at £2,738.29 net after tax) + other paid benefits
- Closing date: 7 March 2021
- Reference number: EBI01773
Continue reading for more information about this position, or apply now
About this position
The Operations and Capital Project Office oversees capital investment programmes, operational / change projects and facilities for EMBL-EBI. The Office works closely with external and internal operational teams to manage large capital investment projects and programmes and EMBL leadership by contributing to consultations, external reviews and supporting impact reporting.
EMBL-EBI has been awarded £45m via UKRI’s Strategic Priorities Fund to support the continued expansion of its range of open biological data resources until 2024. The Data Infrastructure programme established with the investment, oversees the expansion of data centre capacity, storage, compute, networking that EMBL-EBI data resource expansion relies on and the establishment of a central open biological image archive.
The programme also includes additional funding to construct office space on the Wellcome Genome campus, housing the growing expertise.
This role will provide project management support for two projects within this programme. The BioData Project which focuses on the required timely technical infrastructure expansion and the BioImaging Archive Project, which supports the biological image archive establishment and will entail working with a wide community of imaging expertise and research programmes.
- Acting as a central point of communications, establish and maintain suitable project management activities, covering delivery and governance and communication methods.
- Preparing and maintaining all relevant project documentation, including clear project and stage plans for the projects and programme activities. Tracking progress, agreed milestones and actions across project teams.
- Managing project risks, including the development of contingency plans in coordination with the Data Infrastructure Programme Manager.
- Produce all the relevant documentation and reports for internal and external board meetings, monthly formal reporting and project and programme assurance activities.
- Establishing and maintaining close working relationships with EMBL-EBI Technical Services Cluster and procurement and purchasing teams to ensure that suitable expansion processes and procedures are in place to deliver the project and programme objectives.
- Support the organisation of project and programme activities, including community workshop organisation and the UK Government Gateway review process.
- Ensure appropriate stakeholder management processes and communications take place, including liaising with EMBL Comms, Strategy and International Relation teams to ensure alignment in messages. This may include preparing and presenting oral and written presentations for both internal and external audiences.
- Travelling domestically and internationally as necessary to represent EMBL-EBI at relevant meetings and conferences.
The successful candidate is expected to:
- Hold a undergraduate degree in a suitable field and project management training, e.g Prince 2 or equivalent.
- Have four years minimum relevant project management experience, and be able to demonstrate successful project delivery experience, ideally in large scale scientific or technical projects.
- Possess all the required skills for a project manager including excellent verbal and written communication skills, soft relationship skills and excellent organisational and problem solving abilities.
- In depth knowledge in Microsoft office specifically Excel and Word is required.
You might also have
- Experience of working on large scale government or publicly funded initiatives is desirable, especially in technical or biological imaging infrastructure projects.
- Understanding of project management software would be an advantage.
Why join us
EMBL-EBI is a worldwide leader in bioinformatics. We encourage personal and professional development and are committed to ensuring our employees feel valued, supported and empowered to reach their potential at work.
Surrounded by beautiful South Cambridgeshire countryside, our state-of-the-art Campus provides employees with a relaxed atmosphere where the pursuit of scientific discovery and meaningful work, underpin every role. In addition, our employees have access to a wide range of benefits including:
- 30 days annual leave per year plus 8 bank holidays
- Flexible work arrangements
- Unique pension scheme including 17% employer contribution
- Annual salary review
- Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family (including all prescriptions and generous dental & optical cover)
- Death benefit, long-term care, accident at work and unemployment insurances
- Relocation package including installation grant (if required)
- On-site library and subsidised on-site gym and cafeteria
- Casual dress code
- Free shuttle bus to and from Campus
- Extensive sports and social club activities (run on campus and remotely)
- Family benefits: Onsite nursery, child sick leave, generous parental leave, holiday clubs on campus and monthly family and child allowances
- Benefits for non UK residents: Visa exemption, education grant for private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home country every second year and a monthly non-resident allowance
What else you need to know
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV through our online system.
At EMBL-EBI, we strongly believe that inclusive and diverse teams benefit from higher levels of innovation and creative thought. We encourage applications from women, LGBTQ and individuals from all nationalities. Visa exemptions will be offered to international candidates and details will be discussed during interview. We believe in science without borders and this continues after Brexit.
This role is based in Hinxton, UK and you will be required to relocate once it is safe to do so if you are currently based abroad or not within commuting distance. More info on how we are recruiting in this period is available on our page: Recruitment and Onboarding during Covid19.
This position is limited to a 3 year duration in the first instance.
This role closes on Sunday 7th of March and we aim to provide a response within two weeks after the closing date.
There may be an initial phone interview. Panel interviews are likely to be held on the 24th of March.