- Location: EMBL-EBI Hinxton
- Staff category: Staff Member
- Job type: Data Curation
- Contract duration: 3 years
- Grading: Grade 4-5 (Monthly Salary starting at £2,540 -£2,738) + Other paid benefits
- Closing date: 9 March 2021
- Reference number: EBI01760
Continue reading for more information about this position, or apply now
About this position
The Ensembl-HAVANA team produces a reference gene annotation for human and mouse that is used around the world and we continue to improve our understanding and representation of genes within these species as part of the Ensembl and GENCODE projects. Accurate identification and description of genes provides the foundation for high quality analysis of data informing both genome biology and clinical genomics. We are recruiting a genome annotator to support an exciting new project to investigate cell-type and single-cell specific isoform expression in human and model organisms in collaboration with Prof Hagen Tilgner. There are currently 4 years of funding for this position.
The genome annotator will work within Ensembl-HAVANA at EMBL-EBI as part of the Vertebrate Genomics team which is a world leader for integration, annotation, analysis and presentation of genomic data. This environment provides access to an international collection of projects at the cutting edge of human genomic research.
Tasks for this position will include work to:
- Interpret transcriptomic and other genomics data and published literature to give the best possible representation of genes and transcripts
- Work with collaborators to provide feedback and context for the annotation to inform downstream analysis
- Develop guidelines, workflows and documentation for the interpretation of genomic data
- Work with bioinformaticians and software developers in the team to improve annotation tools, access to data, storage of annotation and representation of data in public resources
You must hold a BSc, MSc or equivalent experience in Molecular or Cell Biology, Genetics, Genomics or related fields.
The ideal candidate will be highly motivated, scientifically curious, show initiative, have knowledge of the biology of transcription and translation the and alignment of transcript, protein and genome sequences. Any experience with eukaryotic genome annotation would be advantageous. Skill in delivering a high-quality product with excellent attention to detail and within fixed deadlines is essential. Excellent verbal and written communication, and interpersonal skills are a prerequisite as are problem solving skills, and the desire to learn and improve.
You might also have
A PhD is not essential but would be an advantage.
Why join us
EMBL-EBI is a worldwide leader in bioinformatics. We encourage personal and professional development and are committed to ensuring our employees feel valued, supported and empowered to reach their potential at work.
Surrounded by beautiful South Cambridgeshire countryside, our state-of-the-art Campus provides employees with a relaxed atmosphere where the pursuit of scientific discovery and meaningful work, underpin every role. In addition, our employees have access to a wide range of benefits including:
- 30 days annual leave per year plus 8 bank holidays
- Flexible work arrangements
- Unique pension scheme including 17% employer contribution
- Annual salary review
- Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family (including all prescriptions and generous dental & optical cover)
- Death benefit, long-term care, accident at work and unemployment insurances
- Relocation package including installation grant (if required)
- On-site library and subsidised on-site gym and cafeteria
- Casual dress code
- Free shuttle bus to and from Campus
- Extensive sports and social club activities (run on campus and remotely)
- Family benefits: Onsite nursery, child sick leave, generous parental leave, holiday clubs on campus and monthly family and child allowances
- Benefits for non-UK residents: Visa exemption, education grant for private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home country every second year and a monthly non-resident allowance
What else you need to know
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV through our online system.
At EMBL-EBI, we strongly believe that inclusive and diverse teams benefit from higher levels of innovation and creative thought. We encourage applications from women, LGBTQ and individuals from all nationalities. Visa exemptions will be offered to international candidates and details will be discussed during interview. We believe in science without borders and this continues after Brexit.
This role is based in Hinxton, UK and you will be required to relocate once it is safe to do so if you are currently based abroad. More info on how we are recruiting in this period is available on our page: Recruitment and Onboarding during Covid19.