Digital Product Designer
- Location: EMBL-EBI Hinxton
- Staff category: Staff Member - Technology
- Contract duration: 3 years
- Grading: 5-6 (monthly salary starting at £2,738 or £3,063.41 after tax)
- Closing date: 21 August 2020
- Reference number: EBI01675
Continue reading for more information about this position, or apply now.
About this position
We are looking for an enthusiastic mid-weight Digital Product Designer to join the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) in our mission to create scientific web services that are aesthetically pleasing, useful, usable, and empower our employees and scientists worldwide to solve the biggest challenges in biology. You will join our Web Development team, located on the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK.
The Web Development team includes User Experience (UX) Designers and Web Developers and works closely with the Digital Communications Team based at EMBL in Heidelberg.
As a Digital Product Designer in our team you will be working on a variety of projects in close collaboration with our designers and developers, as well as a wide range of people and teams across EMBL-EBI. Our recent projects include redesigning our Training website, designing the COVID-19 data portal in response to the current pandemic and shaping the look and feel of our widely-used, cutting-edge scientific services, which help address some of the world’s most important challenges such as climate change and loss of biodiversity.
You will be applying your creative skills to bring design concepts to life by translating user requirements and early designs into high quality and high fidelity mockups for a wide range of projects and services.
Your main responsibilities will be to:
This is a unique opportunity for a talented mid-weight Digital Product Designer to work in close collaboration with experienced designers and developers in order to shape the identity of our varied and exciting scientific services and contribute to the evolving design system of a leading international organisation.
- Participate in collaborative design sessions with our UX Designers, members of the service teams and representative users to translate the outcomes of user research (such as scenarios, use cases, user stories and user journeys) into early designs (such as sketches and wireframes).
- Turn early designs into high quality and production-ready mockups to flesh out the information architecture, interaction design, visual design and particular user interface elements of the service.
- Incorporate and extend our evolving design system in your mockups.
- Contribute to design reviews with various stakeholders (including members of the service team, UX and Design colleagues and senior leadership).
- Revise your designs in response to feedback from colleagues, stakeholders and our users.
- A portfolio which demonstrates hands-on experience in designing digital products (this may include coursework as well as professional experience).
- Great attention to detail and a solid grasp of the fundamental principles of web design, such as layout, hierarchy, typography, iconography, colour theory and aesthetics.
- Excellent visual, verbal and written communication skills.
- Expertise in at least one design and prototyping tool, such as Sketch, Figma, Adobe XD, Photoshop, etc.
- Experience working as a member of a dynamic interdisciplinary team and in collaborating with other designers, developers and non-technical stakeholders throughout the design process.
- Ability to work autonomously when required, handle multiple projects and work to deadlines.
You might also have
- A degree or other qualification in a design discipline or relevant industry experience.
- Experience developing and improving a design system or a pattern library for web applications.
- Interest in UX Design and in iterative, holistic design approaches.
- An understanding of Agile software development practices.
- An interest in life sciences and a desire to work in a stimulating and international culture.
Why join us
EMBL-EBI is a worldwide leader in bioinformatics. As part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), we are a non-profit, intergovernmental organisation funded by over 27 member states and two associate member states. We encourage personal and professional development and are committed to ensuring our employees feel valued, supported and empowered to reach their potential at work.
Surrounded by picturesque South Cambridgeshire countryside, our Campus provides employees with a relaxed atmosphere where the pursuit of scientific discovery and meaningful work, underpin every role. In addition, our employees have access to a wide range of benefits including:
- 30 days annual leave per year plus 8 bank holidays
- Flexible work arrangements
- Unique pension scheme including 17% employer contribution
- Annual salary review
- Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family (including all prescriptions and generous dental & optical cover)
- Death benefit, long-term care, accident at work and unemployment insurances
- Relocation package including installation grant (if required)
- On-site library and subsidised on-site gym and cafeteria
- Casual dress code
- Free shuttle bus to and from Campus
- Extensive sports and social club activities (run on campus and remotely)
- Family benefits: Onsite nursery, child sick leave, generous parental leave, holiday clubs on campus and monthly family and child allowances
- Benefits for non UK residents: Visa exemption, education grant for private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home country every second year and a monthly non-resident allowance
What else you need to know
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV through our online system. EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer. Applications are encouraged from all nationalities and this has continued after Brexit. For more information please see our website. Visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.
3 year staff member contract renewable up to 9 years of service.
Applications will close at 23:00 BST on the date listed above.