Life scientists in Israel, EMBL staff, alumni, their colleagues and networks are invited to the EMBL in Israel event at The Weizmann Institute of Science in Rehovot.
As a founding and current member of EMBL, Israel has been supporting EMBL for over 40 years and this event will be an excellent opportunity to hear about outstanding EMBL resources, training and research services available to scientists in Israel. This event includes a diverse group of distinguished speakers from EMBL and across Israel and is a chance to learn about educational opportunities both at EMBL and in Israel. The meeting will provide an excellent opportunity to expand your own professional networks between research organisations in Israel and EMBL.
This free event is open to all.
Who Should Attend:
EMBL in… events are open to all life scientists. The aim is to share what’s happening at EMBL with communities in our EMBL member and associate member states, as well as learn about new and innovative life sciences research and resources available in EMBL host countries. With these events, we seek to open up valuable dialogue, ensuring that as many people as possible have access to the opportunities provided by both EMBL and its alumni and partners.
|7 December 2022|
|13:00-14:00||Lunch and Registration|
|14:00-15:05||EMBL Overview: Resources and Services|
Chair: Matthias Wilmanns, Head of EMBL Heidelberg
– Jan Ellenberg, Head of Cell Biology & Biophysics Unit, EMBL Heidelberg
– Iris Eisenberg, EMBL Council Delegate and Director of Life Science Research, Ministry of Innovation, Science and Technology
|15:05-15:35||Coffee and Networking|
|15:35-16:55||EMBL and EMBO: Connected to Israel|
Chair: Joel Sussman, EMBL Council Delegate and Director, The Israel Structural Proteomics Center, Weizmann Institute of Science
– Karen Avraham, Professor, Tel Aviv University, EMBO Council Member
– Hermona Soreq, the Slesinger Professor of Molecular Neuroscience, the Edmond and lily Safra Center of Brain Science and The Life Sciences Institute, The Hebrew University
– Ori Avinoam, Group Leader, Weizmann Institute of Science (EMBL Postdoc, 2012-2016, Heidelberg)
– Meytal Landau, Professor, Israeli Institute of Technology
|16:55-17:15||Coffee and Networking|
|17:15-18:30||Research Training Opportunities at EMBL and Israel|
Chairs: Phil Selenko, Professor, Weizmann Institute of Science (EMBL Predoc, 1998-2003, Heidelberg)
– Erez Pyetan, Academic Director, Future Scientists Program – Odyssey, Tel Aviv University
– Naama Barkai, Professor, Weizmann Institute of Science (EMBL SAC Member, 2011-2013)
Summary and next steps
– Peter Papagiannis, Alumni Volunteer Officer, EMBL Heidelberg
|18:30-19:30||Drinks Reception in foyer of Conference Centre (all event attendees)|
Thank you to the following for supporting the event:
Date: 7 Dec 2022
Venue: The Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel, Lopatie Conference Center